Two envelopes, THREE options (Are you a risk taker?)

What did you do?

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
After my other thread I thought I'd make another for those who really want to have something to analyze. The logic behind this one is a bit more annoying.

There are two envelopes on a table.

You can pick one of the envelopes OR you can opt to leave with a guaranteed $0.

Facts:
  • One envelope on the table has a check for $50,000 in it. (very good to get)
  • One envelope on the table has a BILL for $10,000 in it. (very bad to get)

You have no way of knowing which envelope has which item in it.

[highlight]Do you pick up and open envelope #1?[/highlight] If so vote in the poll first and then click the spoiler below:
[highlight]Click ONLY if you have already voted in the poll! Don't Lie![/highlight]
Envelope #1 has a bill for $10,000 in it that you must now pay. You should have left well enough alone.

[highlight]Do you pick up and open envelope #2?[/highlight] If so vote in the poll first and then click the spoiler below:
[highlight]Click ONLY if you have already voted in the poll! Don't Lie![/highlight]
Envelope #2 has a check for $50,000 in it. Congrats! You took a huge risk and came out ahead!

[highlight]Do you walk away and risk nothing?[/highlight] If so vote in the poll first and then click the spoiler below:
You walk away with $0 and risk nothing.

What did you do? Did you pick an envelope? Which one? Did you walk away with nothing? Vote in the poll before clicking a spoiler.

[highlight]Please use spoiler tags accordingly when replying.[/highlight]

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I clicked on the first envelope and no I didn't lie. I liked your first one better, I walked out with 10,000$ in my pocket.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I chose option 3. I don't know where to find 10k that easily, so to spare me the potential problem, I choose to walk away.

Other Reason: The possibility of gettting a bill of 10k is too big of a risk for me, for something like a chance to get 50k. Now if the other option/envelope means winning 50 million, I might have taken my chance even if in the end I could end up paying 10k. It would have been more tempting.

R1pperZ

Registered Member
No I didn't lie and...
I chose the second envelope!
Well there's no reverse psychology in this situation so I just analyzed how Brix would have set up the options... :p

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
all i can say is that i picked envelope 1

and now i regret it.......

although i do have the very large sum of imaginery money from the other post. so its alright :lol:

Last edited: