Two envelopes, THREE options (Are you a risk taker?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Nov 19, 2008.

?

What did you do?

1. Take a risk with Envelope #1

16.0%
  2. Take a risk with Envelope #2

32.0%
  3. Walk away and risk nothing.

52.0%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

After my other thread I thought I'd make another for those who really want to have something to analyze. The logic behind this one is a bit more annoying.

There are two envelopes on a table.

You can pick one of the envelopes OR you can opt to leave with a guaranteed $0.

Facts:
    • One envelope on the table has a check for $50,000 in it. (very good to get)
    • One envelope on the table has a BILL for $10,000 in it. (very bad to get)

You have no way of knowing which envelope has which item in it.

[highlight]Do you pick up and open envelope #1?[/highlight] If so vote in the poll first and then click the spoiler below:
    [highlight]Click ONLY if you have already voted in the poll! Don't Lie![/highlight]
    Envelope #1 has a bill for $10,000 in it that you must now pay. You should have left well enough alone.

[highlight]Do you pick up and open envelope #2?[/highlight] If so vote in the poll first and then click the spoiler below:
    [highlight]Click ONLY if you have already voted in the poll! Don't Lie![/highlight]
    Envelope #2 has a check for $50,000 in it. Congrats! You took a huge risk and came out ahead!

[highlight]Do you walk away and risk nothing?[/highlight] If so vote in the poll first and then click the spoiler below:
    You walk away with $0 and risk nothing.

What did you do? Did you pick an envelope? Which one? Did you walk away with nothing? Vote in the poll before clicking a spoiler.

[highlight]Please use spoiler tags accordingly when replying.[/highlight]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008

2. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

w00t I came out with 50 grand!

Bananas likes this.
  3. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I chose nothing. I could not possibly afford that $10,000 bill and have nothing to show for it.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I clicked on the first envelope and no I didn't lie. I liked your first one better, I walked out with 10,000$ in my pocket.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I chose option 3. I don't know where to find 10k that easily, so to spare me the potential problem, I choose to walk away.

Other Reason: The possibility of gettting a bill of 10k is too big of a risk for me, for something like a chance to get 50k. Now if the other option/envelope means winning 50 million, I might have taken my chance even if in the end I could end up paying 10k. It would have been more tempting.

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I walked away.

I'm not a big risk taker.

7. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

No I didn't lie and...
    I chose the second envelope!
    Well there's no reverse psychology in this situation so I just analyzed how Brix would have set up the options... :p

8. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Walked away, 50% chance of serious debt wasn't worth it.

9. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I picked the second envelope. =) and I came out on top.. Too bad I won't really be getting the money. =(

10. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

all i can say is that i picked envelope 1

and now i regret it.......

although i do have the very large sum of imaginery money from the other post. so its alright :lol:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008