• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV TV Shows You Watched in 2013

Taliesin

Registered Member
I wasn't able to get into any books or finish hardly any video games last year, but I was at least able to sink my teeth into some great shows. I rather enjoy stories of all kinds, and TV shows offer one of the best ways to digest them. I love that in today's competitive TV landscape that there are still shows that are allowed to unfold at their own pace. More fun for me!

Some highlights for me in 2013 included...

In Treatment:
Given some of the emotional shite I had to endure last year, it was nice to get lost in a show that reminds you that people from all different walks of life are doing it just as tough. Gabriel Byrne plays psychologist Dr. Paul Weston, and the show follows the sessions he has with some of his patients. Truly compelling stuff.

Game of Thrones:
There's really not a lot to say about a show that is more popular than God other than, "Oh. My. God." The story lines may be labyrinthine to the point of mental fatigue, and there may be more characters than the entire population of Canada, but damn if this show doesn't just suck you in anyway! There were a few genuine shocks in season three last year!

Curb Your Enthusiasm:
I'm really REALLY behind on this one. I've been watching it on DVD and it's been awesome. I think that is kind of the best way to watch this series actually, as the humour of it isn't evident until you've viewed a whole run of episodes back-to-back. It's a comedy of errors, and the main character (played by a dry and oddly likable Larry David) doesn't do himself any favours by being a cranky old coot to begin with. Brilliant stuff.

There have been some disappointments though, one of which was...

Breaking Bad:
I get that this is a quality show. I really do. I just get bored by it. The story of how Walter White becomes a drug king over time just really isn't all that interesting to me, and some of the characters (especially his wife) are so grating that I want to throw something through the TV screen. I gave up a little way into the third season, and I won't be returning.

What shows did you catch up with in 2013? What did you end up liking and what was not so great as far as you're concerned? I'll add more to my list as I think of things.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't keep lists of shows the same way I do movies, books and games but from memory I watched a fair bit.

My two favourite new shows were Orphan Black, Orange is the New Black and Wentworth. All of these shows continued to impress me after each episode, and I couldn't get enough!

Then I also watched the latest Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story and Pretty Little Liars. All shows that I enjoy keeping up with. I'm also up to date with Parks and Rcreation which may be my all time favourite comedy.

I've also been watching through Breaking Bad the last few months and have finished season 1-4 and am about to start the final season.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm not sure how many series I've watched this year so I'm going to take my best shot:

Series I've continued:

Sons of Anarchy: What isn't there to love?

How I Met Your Mother: Only because I feel like I have to finish it after so long. It isn't funny to me any longer.

Big Bang Theory: Because funny.

Modern Family: See Big Bang Theory.

Obligatory: South Park, American Dad, Family Guy.

Ray Donovan: Now on my list of shows to keep up on.

Walking Dead: Again, what isn't there to love?

Game of Thrones: Because dicks.

True Blood, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: My guilty pleasures.

Doctor Who: My favorite show currently on television.

Californication: Only watching so I can finish it completely. It peaked a couple of seasons ago.

Shows I've seen to the end this year:
Breaking Bad: One of the best shows ever made.

Dexter: This was a hard one for me. I loved Dexter but it never hit the peaks of previous seasons.

Fringe: I'm actually finishing up season four as we speak. I'll have it done in the next few days so I figured I'd leave this here.

Leverage: It ended in Dec 2012 but I actually watched most of the last season in Jan/Feb. This show was way underrated.

Futurama: This one hit me right in the feels. Futurama finally got the ending it deserves. Rumors have it that we could see more movies.

Arrested Development: :(

Series I've started and finished this year (that I can remember):
Star Trek: ToS
Fringe (previous mention)
American Dad (ongoing)
South Park, Family Guy (filled in some holes)
Orange is the New Black (ongoing)

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't watch a ton of TV, but there's several series I kept up with in 2013, as well as a couple new ones.

Game of Thrones - Probably the best show on TV the last few years.

Dexter - Really disappointing final season and I'm glad it's over.

Homeland - Underrated show that not enough people here watch.

Top Chef - This is the only reality series I can get into.

The Walking Dead - Started watching in 2013 when there was a marathon and got hooked.

Ray Donovan - Great new show and I'm looking forward to the next season.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I watched more TV than movies last year. Here we go...

Californication

This has been one of my favorite shows since it first aired back in '07. Like Weeds, the first four seasons were by far the best. Unlike Weeds, the last few have still been entertaining. I really enjoy all of the characters and I'm interested in seeing how this all comes to an end.

House of Lies

This is a great series that I'm not sure very many other people are watching. This, along with Californication & Shameless, make for one hell of a night of TV every spring for 3 months. I highly recommend this. Don Cheadle is fantastic.

Shameless

I LOVED the first two season. I thought three got a little too crazy though. This still has plenty of steam and I would like to see another 2 or 3 seasons. The Gallagher gang is a lot of fun to watch.

House of Cards

Netflix found a hit with this one. I hate politics and do everything I can to avoid talking about them or watching them. I still found myself hooked to this show. Great performances and a great story helped a whole lot.

Orange Is The New Black

Netflix is killing it. A couple more shows and they'll be running your TV. Haha. A HUGE cast and every single one of them deserves more screen time. Definitely looking forward to seeing season 2.

Lilyhammer

Another Netflix show. This one stars Steven Van Zandt of Sopranos fam, at least on TV. He plays a mobster again. Which is fine, seeing as I couldn't imagine him playing anything else ever again. It's a little odd. Foreign. I've only seen the first two episodes so far, but I'm willing to stick it out.

Dexter

A pretty lackluster final season for what was once my favorite show. I've re-watched it and I don't think it was as bad as we all initially thought, but it's still not "good". They should've given us what most (or possibly all) of us expected. Dexter is found out and goes on the run. Oh well.

Breaking Bad

I had to re-start this three times. I found the first two seasons to be too slow and a little boring. My brother urged me to watch it again and I finally did. The first two & a half seasons are slow but the final two and a half totally make up for it. I wouldn't call this the best TV show of all-time, but it's definitely gotta be in the top 7.

Game of Thrones

What an incredible third season. Easily the best show on TV. The Red Wedding was by far the most shocking moment of any TV show I've watched, ever. That shit stuck with me for days, possibly weeks after I watched it. Haha.

The Walking Dead

Another solid half a season. Slow in parts, but still better than all that farm bullshit. A great way to end the first 8 episodes. Looking forward to seeing how this goes moving forward.

Big Bang Theory

I hadn't seen more than a half episode of this before 2013. I decided to give it a shot and got hooked. Within two weeks I burned through the first 6 seasons. I'm currently all caught up. Great stuff.

Revolution

Started this up. A few episodes in and enjoying it. There's a chance I could be with this series for the long haul or grow tired of it before I finish the first season. We'll see.

Chuck

I liked The O.C., so I thought I'd give Josh Schwartz's other long running series a shot. I'm glad I did, it's a lot of fun and Yvonne Strahovski is incredibly good looking.

Sons of Anarchy

I took a break from this show after the meh third season. I decided to get back on the bike and it was a wise decision. The last couple of seasons have been great. I'd probably rank this as the third best series on TV.

Community

My favorite sitcom continues to survive year after year. That might end after this 5th season, but it's been a hell of a ride. It'll suck to lose Troy, but we're getting Harmon back. Not quite a wash.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Californication

This has been one of my favorite shows since it first aired back in '07. Like Weeds, the first four seasons were by far the best. Unlike Weeds, the last few have still been entertaining. I really enjoy all of the characters and I'm interested in seeing how this all comes to an end.

Shameless

I LOVED the first two season. I thought three got a little too crazy though. This still has plenty of steam and I would like to see another 2 or 3 seasons. The Gallagher gang is a lot of fun to watch.
Somehow I forgot to put those two shows on my list. Two of my favorites and I'm looking forward to them starting up again soon.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Breaking Bad is the only new series I started watching this year. I am so glad I finally caved because it turned out to be one of the best shows I've ever watched. The final episode was amazing and I won't be forgetting it in a hurry.

I can't remember if I started The Walking Dead this year or last year, but either way I continued it this year and I have to admit it doesn't entertain me as much as it did in the beginning. The final episode before the break was great though. I am hoping that it a sign of things to come.

The final season of Dexter was a huge disappointment. I am still annoyed about it I have to say.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Konshentz Movies & TV 16
Mirage Sports 9
MenInTights Movies & TV 15
Mirage Movies & TV 1
AmericanMusic Movies & TV 6