• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV host criticized for photograph of herself with dead lion

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A Minnesota-based host of a big-game hunting program caused a worldwide controversy after she posted a picture of herself posing with a male lion she had just shot in South Africa.

TV host Melissa Bachman criticized for smiling photograph of herself with dead lion | The Raw Story
I know people go hunting all the time and I have no problem with it but posing with a dead animal smiling is kind of sad. Lions aren't an endangered species yet but I wouldn't be bragging about killing an animal like I really did something here when she had an unfair advantage, a high powered rifle.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I think it's sad when a lion is killed. But I also think it's sad when a deer is killed, or a chicken, or a duck etc. To me it's all the same. But you're right, it is extra shocking when it's an endangered species.

Unless this woman was starving and this was her only food source, then there is no excuse for this.

This article shows how much of a coward she was.

Why Killing A Lion Is The Most Cowardly Thing You Can Do

She most likely killed it while it was sleeping in the shade somewhere.

Last edited:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Oh boy. Don't even get me going on this. I should start by saying Melissa had better never put foot in this country again. She might be torn to shreds. Just since this went public. the "Stop Melissa Bachman" Facebook page has over 200k supporters. She's managed to stir up a lot of hate in a country where we are used to atrocities beyond most peoples imagine. So that says a lot really.

So let me clarify something before I continue my rant. I am not actually against hunting, per se. And I will admit, I have done some hunting myself (rabbits and wild boars). But there is a MASSIVE difference between hunting buck and deer and a lot of other animals over hunting lions, or any endangered animal. Hunting lions is almost sacrilege.

Hunters tend to prefer the older, dominant males, which creates potentially devastating infighting problems within the pride. Males seeking to fill the dominant position have been known to kill the cubs and lionesses of their former rivals.
Melissa retaliated by saying her hunting this lion created jobs and revenue to the surrounding area. No Melissa. You put a ton of money in the pockets of the people who especially had that lion brought to their enclosure so that you could kill it to hang it on your wall like a trophy. IT'S CALLED CANNED LION HUNTING. And we do more than frown upon it. Have you no respect for nature? It's possible that you killing this one lion lead to the deaths of a few more lionesses and their cubs.

And this is exactly what my problem is with hunting. If you are going to hunt something in the wide open, fine, that's on you (and me). But having a lion brought into a small area and having someone take you to it so you can shoot it while it is likely sleeping in the shade in the heat of the day?? BRAVO. You are a pro hunts woman. We are all so very impressed with your skills.

I'm going to stop here, because I could probably go on forever about this. I just really hope she doesn't come back here to shoot the last surviving Black Rhino, coz I am sure that would make a great trophy as well.

Btw, I hate that the people who helped her do this allowed this to happen, all for money. Disgraceful.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Anyone that hunts in a enclosure aren't real hunters. I suspect most of them couldn't cut it in a real hunt and would probably become lunch or never find anything. To me the only reason to hunt is for food not a trophy.

Would like to see her hunt a pair of lions like The Ghost and The Darkness and not in a enclosure.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I agree. I hate it when people hunt for sport, instead of only for food. In fact it really annoys me altogether when people call it a "sport". It's not a sport. The animals don't know they are playing. That lion didn't know it was playing in this so called "sport".

Her "Stop Melissa" page now has 230K likes. Good to see it's growing fast.