• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Guides

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
With all the sources people have such in the internet, electronic program guides and apps on peoples phones that are free to download it amazes me that TV Guides are still going. People must be buying them still but I cannot remember the last time I did.

I remember many years ago the TV Guide was an essential part of owning a TV, everyone used it and so help you if you had it when someone else wanted it or you hid it! My mum still buys The Radio Times which is published by the BBC here in the UK and there are literally hundreds you can buy if you look properly.

Do you still use them?

dDave

V.I.P.
I wonder if some people actually collect TV Guide like they do in Seinfeld.

I don't believe I've ever had one. I'll just use the electronic search function my cable provider supplies with their boxes.

What's strange is that they sill have the TV Guide channel which is obviously redundant and unnecessary.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
We used to get the free guide in The Mirror, but we don't get it any more and haven't for a while.

I usually find out what's coming back on and when, then have a mental schedule for the week; these shows monday, that show tuesday. If I'm lucky, I have at least one thing a day to watch until they finish for a break or the end of the seasons.

Bliss

Sally Twit
When I was a teenager I used to get the TV guide each weekend, circle the things I wanted to watch so that my day was filled with TV fun if I had no other plans. How sad is that! lol

I don't watch much TV these days. If I feel the need I just flick through the channels and see what's on.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
TV guides are pretty useless these days since most cable and satellite providers have an electronic guide feature which is easier to use and has more information for each program.

What's strange is that they sill have the TV Guide channel which is obviously redundant and unnecessary.
TV Guide Channel actually airs TV shows and movies now. Does anyone actually watch anything on that channel? It seems like it would be really annoying to watch a show on half a screen while TV listings are scrolling on the other half.

dDave

V.I.P.
We used to get the free guide in The Mirror, but we don't get it any more and haven't for a while.

I usually find out what's coming back on and when, then have a mental schedule for the week; these shows monday, that show tuesday. If I'm lucky, I have at least one thing a day to watch until they finish for a break or the end of the seasons.
I hate waiting for shows to come back while they're on break, I do tend to have difficulty finding something I want to watch in that time frame.

When I was a teenager I used to get the TV guide each weekend, circle the things I wanted to watch so that my day was filled with TV fun if I had no other plans. How sad is that! lol

I don't watch much TV these days. If I feel the need I just flick through the channels and see what's on.
That is quite sad :lol:. Back when TV Guide was relevant I would basically turn on the TV and flip through channels until I found something I wanted to watch. I usually knew what shows were on because I would normally watch for an hour after getting home from school every day.

TV Guide Channel actually airs TV shows and movies now. Does anyone actually watch anything on that channel? It seems like it would be really annoying to watch a show on half a screen while TV listings are scrolling on the other half.
Do they really? I don't actually watch the channel, I just know it's there.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
My mother still does that but usually with a highlighter in the bumper Radio Times each Christmas, I swear it is the thing she looks forward to the most!

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
TV guides went out fashion 7 years ago for me I reckon with the rise of digital TV.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Once you could get a guide off the TV I stopped buying them. Now I don't subscribe to anyone, just get what is free, so if I want to know what is on I look it up on the internet.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I've never bought a TV Guide. I've always used the channel guide or the internet to find when something I'm interested is on.