• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Turn on Smackdown, 1-7-10

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This show has absolutely been off the charts good so far...

Turn it on right now haha

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
What a great episode...like the first RAW of the year, the first Smackdown was pretty much off the charts. I won't spoil anything at this point, but hats off to the WWE and its talent. Great matches tonight.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't even barely know what to say after watching this show...it was absolutely brilliant from top to bottom. Where do we start?

The wrestling was classic and I loved the booking in everything.

They open with Kane vs Edge with Edge retaining...great physical match.

Oh then they have an IC title match with Ziggler and Kingston...back to back title matches. Kingston wins the IC title, Vickie orders a rematch, Kingston retains.

Later on its Big Show vs McIntyre vs Rhodes and the winner faces Edge at the Rumble. Vickie puts Ziggler in the match...he wins. From Nicky of the Spirit Squad to getting a World title shot. Congrats Dolph!

During that match Wade Barrett shows up on Smackdown and attacks Big Show. I guess he's on SD? Probably leading to a match with Undertaker for sure now.

McIntyre is slowly turning face it appears too. I like it, why not.

Then you've got the 2 outta 3 falls match which Del Rio wins 2-1 after Rodriguez holds Rey's leg allowing a count out win. Rey destroys him afterwards. I guess that means Del Rio wins the feud.

Overall, awesome awesome awesome show with tons of twist and turns and great wrestling. Can't praise it enough...it was almost the perfect show.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't even barely know what to say after watching this show...it was absolutely brilliant from top to bottom. Where do we start?

The wrestling was classic and I loved the booking in everything.

They open with Kane vs Edge with Edge retaining...great physical match.

Oh then they have an IC title match with Ziggler and Kingston...back to back title matches. Kingston wins the IC title, Vickie orders a rematch, Kingston retains.

Later on its Big Show vs McIntyre vs Rhodes and the winner faces Edge at the Rumble. Vickie puts Ziggler in the match...he wins. From Nicky of the Spirit Squad to getting a World title shot. Congrats Dolph!

During that match Wade Barrett shows up on Smackdown and attacks Big Show. I guess he's on SD? Probably leading to a match with Undertaker for sure now.

McIntyre is slowly turning face it appears too. I like it, why not.

Then you've got the 2 outta 3 falls match which Del Rio wins 2-1 after Rodriguez holds Rey's leg allowing a count out win. Rey destroys him afterwards. I guess that means Del Rio wins the feud.

Overall, awesome awesome awesome show with tons of twist and turns and great wrestling. Can't praise it enough...it was almost the perfect show.
The opening match was a lot of fun, had a lot of "oh shit is that really going to happen" spots, and really kept me guessing. I went in thinking that Edge was a sure-shot, and at a couple of points I really thought Kane had him spent. I mean who gets up from a chokeslam through the announcer's table?!

I loved that Kingston won the title initially with his flying cross-body (which has a frog splash like motion included). It was one of his first moves that really impressed me when he debuted in ECW, and it's a beauty. Again, when the booking keeps me guessing is when I'm truly enjoying a wrestling match. When Vickie restarted the match, I was SURE that Dolph would regain the title under shady circumstances. Kofi proved how bad-ass he is and really brought it with his Trouble in Paradise to retain.

The four-way #1 contender's match was such a great match, with really good spots and really good wrestling by all involved. I enjoyed it thoroughly because Even though I could rank them in order of which I wanted them to win, I was equally stoked at Rhodes, McIntyre, and Ziggler being in this prominent position. I loved the way that they booked the ending to the match. Talk about your Ultimate Opportunists, Dolph really used his mind to get that win at the end. Good stuff, and the World Heavyweight Championship match at the Royal Rumble should be excellent!

And I definitely hope Millz' idea of Barrett facing taker at WM is how it goes down...Striker was calling Barrett "The Jackal." Not important, but I think that it's a really fitting nickname...talk about surprises, seeing him run in and pick out Show to attack was nuts. I think being on SD is a good idea for him.

I was talking to Millz about the whole McIntyre/Kelly Kelly angle, and about him slowly turning face. Either he will go face, or it'll be more like Dolph and Maria in which he stays a heel with a face girlfriend. I'd like the former, because if the SD roster stays as-is after last night, it'll probably need another strong face in the mix. Either way, it's good to see Drew getting his own storyline, whether or not it's high quality. The guy deserves it.

Overall, what Millz said.
------
I'd like to add that even Mysterio was in better form than usual...I'm always glad to see a Del Rio match, but wasn't looking forward to Rey again at all. His pinfall was awesome, and actual reminded me of Lucha Libre for a change! It was a fast-paced hurricarana spin into a cradle pin maneuver. It was pretty awesome. And of course, Alberto Del Rio was great in the match. His wrestling is so awesome and he still has to win by cheating, which makes him even more heel-like.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sad I missed it. I am shocked that Ziggler is getting a title shot, but I'm really happy for him. Ever since he got suspended he's worked his butt off and he made a great IC Champion. Sad to see him lose the title, but he's moving on to better things now.

Was it true that Barrett did his finishing move on the Big Show, I read it somewhere but don't know if it's true or not.

Glad that Del Rio won, hopefully the feud is over, and he moves on to better things himself.

Looks like 2011 is off to a great start.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't recall Barrett using the Wasteland on Big Show, no.

This is one of those shows that if you didn't see it you should youtube it. If I was grading RAW I'd have given it an 8 and this show I'd give a 9.5

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Sad I missed it. I am shocked that Ziggler is getting a title shot, but I'm really happy for him. Ever since he got suspended he's worked his butt off and he made a great IC Champion. Sad to see him lose the title, but he's moving on to better things now.

Was it true that Barrett did his finishing move on the Big Show, I read it somewhere but don't know if it's true or not.

Glad that Del Rio won, hopefully the feud is over, and he moves on to better things himself.

Looks like 2011 is off to a great start.
Yeah they had been stressing during the show that this was "bringing an end" to Kane/Edge and Mysterio/Del Rio.

I don't recall Barrett using the Wasteland on Big Show, no.

This is one of those shows that if you didn't see it you should youtube it. If I was grading RAW I'd have given it an 8 and this show I'd give a 9.5
I agree on the 9.5. Best wrestling programming this week, by far.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
This show was awesome, all the matches were good for the most part and it had a big fight feel to it. Kane vs Edge was a decent match and haven't seen a match like that for a long time. (Fighting through the arena.) I was shocked to see Ziggler as the #1 contender though, but he deserves it and no doubt he and Edge will put on a good show at the Rumble. As for Barrett, I am very curious what lies ahead for him. I am starting to lean towards Barrett vs Undertaker at Mania again since he is now permanent to Smackdown.

Last edited: