Tuna

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Babe_Ruth, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I know this isn't the Food and Recipe section, but I decided to put this in Health and Fitness because it's more of a gaining weight/muscle type of question.

First I am thinking of starting to eat Tuna, I've never tried it before, but it smells disgusting. I heard it has a lot of protein so it's good for you when your working out. Is that true?

What other type of food would you guys suggest as well?

2. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

Here are some other foods high in protein that you might want to try:

Eggs (hardboiled)
    Fish (all varieties)
    Chicken, Turkey & Lamb
    Kidney Beans
    Lean Red meat (beef, Venison)
    Low Fat Dairy (cottage cheese, milk, yogurt)

3. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

how have you managed to never have tuna? I'm somewhat shocked lol

you should try some of the prepackaged tuna StarKist® | StarKist Creations™

I like the herb and garlic with some mayo.

also grilling tuna is good too especially if you put some seasoning on it. cook it just like a steak if you so choose.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't like the smell of it, so I never tried it. I imagine I should take no-fat mayonaise if I do add it with my tuna?

Not a fan of fish so that is definitely out of the question, but I use to love hard-boiled eggs as a kid, but one day at school I got sick from it and never tried it ever since. Might give it another shot. I usually just put three eggs in a glass and drink it(Rocky style)

5. Raos

Raos Registered Member

Cooked tuna and raw tuna are completely different animals. Raw tuna smells and tastes and looks nothing at all like cooked. Raw tuna has a very fresh clean taste (like a glass of good quality fresh cold water). Try some raw tuna if you have it available. It is very healthy and delicious.

6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

You can definitely have some tuna but I'm guessing that most people here don't realize that there's mercury in tuna, no matter how small the amounts it's important to understand, long term if you have it fairly frequently (even once or twice every 2 weeks) it can cause some pretty intense health complications. All fish have mercury in them, tuna is just the most notable because the amounts are higher.

So if I were you I wouldn't get too used to tuna even if it does taste good.

If you're looking for something to have regularly, eggs are a better option but they're high in cholesterol.

You might try something from Storm's list or you could try peanut butter, I've always found that to be the best option if nothing else is available.

7. Raos

Raos Registered Member

While tuna can contain mercury, it is much healthier to eat it than not eat it. Pregnant woman (who have a much greater risk of problems for both them and their baby) are usually told to not have tuna more than once a week because of mercury. There is no reason to not eat tuna because of mercury. Just like with everything else though, you need to eat it in moderation. If you have it every day then that probably is not the best thing in the world for you, but once or twice a week is actually a very healthy way to eat.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Listen, if you're trying to get the most protein out of what you eat, do NOT eat your eggs raw. First of all they could be contaminated with salmonella, and that will make you sicker than a dog. Heating it destroys the bacteria that can make you sick. Second of all, you really should cook eggs thoroughly because the denatured albumin (egg white protein) is more easily absorbed by the body than the intact albumin. You're not getting all the protein that is available in eggs if you eat them raw.

Peanut butter, cashews, almonds, pistachios - all are high in protein and high in good fats.

Don't neglect your body's need for carbohydrates, either. Working muscles use glucose as fuel. Plus, a high-protein/low-carbohydrate diet, if done improperly, can lead to ketoacidosis, which is a dangerous condition.

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

So the best would be a diet in high-protein and high-carbohydrate?

10. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

well-balanced would be best. Find out how many grams of protein your body needs, and how many carbs, etc. No one diet is right for everyone, you need to base your diet on your body's specific needs (age, gender, height/weight, daily caloric requirements, etc.) A good place to go to figure that all out is mypyramid.gov, but it's a US government site so I'm not sure how accessible it would be to you, Elly.

Bliss likes this.