Truth-phobia

On what scale? The truth as in the 'ultimate truth' or just day to day situations? I've never heard of a truth phobic before lol...

I'll edit this accordingly :p

Why distinguish between the two?
Ok, so we're talking in general then... (and the reason I'd distinguish is because they are two different kinds of truth)

Since a phobia is an intense, irrational fear of something, I don't believe that truth-phobes should be disrespected. I'm finding it hard to put myself in that place but I'm guessing it isn't their fault.
The only way I'd say I was afraid of the truth (but in no way phobic, thats a strong word) is when its something I really don't want to believe, say my dad was arrested for murder but claimed he didn't do it.. I would be terrified of the truth being that he did.

I can see how people would be scared of 'the ultimate truth' ... maybe thats where religion comes in :hi: .......... :bolt:

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
How shall we define "truth-phobia" for the purposes of this discussion? Are you asking for opinions on true, clinical alethophobia, or do you categorize as "truth-phobic" those who would disagree with your own personally held suppositions?

Steerpike

Registered Member
Ok, so we're talking in general then... (and the reason I'd distinguish is because they are two different kinds of truth)
If "x" is true, then "x" is true.

Since a phobia is an intense, irrational fear of something, I don't believe that truth-phobes should be disrespected.
Why would someone be afraid of either accepting or acknowledging truth?

I'm finding it hard to put myself in that place but I'm guessing it isn't their fault.
It is to your credit that you find it hard to put yourself in that place. Why wouldn't it be their fault?

......I can see how people would be scared of 'the ultimate truth' ... maybe thats where religion comes in :hi: .......... :bolt:
Religion has no systematic relationship to truth.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I am not personally afraid of truth --> Certainly, I presume not to know any truth necessarily one way or another, until I see fit to presume otherwise; even then, I will never proclaim what I believe to be true as the ultimate/absolute truth ('cuz I'm not so perfect, myself)

Were I asked to define "truth-phobia", so termed, I would say that it is a condition wherein the person in question is more concerned with being "right" rather than being "truthful", born of any combination of exterior conditions including, but not exclusive to:

• Fear
  • Anger
  • Insecurity
  • Ignorance
  • Arrogance

Last edited:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Once one builds a house, they will resist moving elsewhere. Principles are much the same.

I do understand the predicament they are in, but anyone with a sufficient sense of reason should at some point realize their own faults.

If "x" is true, then "x" is true.
What I meant with different types of truths was that I can see how someone would be scared of the truth that their dad is a murderer (why do I keep using that example lol) and I can see how someone else could be so scared of the unknown that they refuse to believe the truth. In fact nobody knows what the truth is where that example is concerned, but I do know there are people who will convince themselves of something that deep down they probably know isn't going to be real.

Why would someone be afraid of either accepting or acknowledging truth?
It depends on the truth. Most likely they can't handle it, but to an extreme. Or other psychological issues that I'm not aware of.

It is to your credit that you find it hard to put yourself in that place. Why wouldn't it be their fault?
I don't know anything significant about truth-phobes, but a phobia is a phobia. I have one, its not my fault that I've a fear of _____, so I don't see how it is their fault either. Maybe I should word it as: they shouldn't be blamed for it.

Religion has no systematic relationship to truth.
I meant that lifes big questions are un-answered. This frightens people. Some take it to the extreme and believe in things [religion] that they know have very little chance of being real, deep down.

Is it possible to have a phobia of the truth? I just looked and can't find any info on it at all.

Steerpike

Registered Member
Is it possible to have a phobia of the truth?
You are taking this too literally. I am referring to something along the lines of:

....Were I asked to define "truth-phobia", so termed, I would say that it is a condition wherein the person in question is more concerned with being "right" rather than being "truthful", born of any combination of exterior conditions including, but not exclusive to:

• Fear
  • Anger
  • Insecurity
  • Ignorance
  • Arrogance
Along with this add the person who refuses to "call a spade a spade" for whatever reason.

I just looked and can't find any info on it at all.
If you look at what PretzelCorps said about this along with my comments and compare that to the behavior one can find both on the internet and real life, then one can see that there is no shortage of those who display this behavior.

With this in mind, would you change any of what you have said regarding this?