• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Trump announces he won't run for President"

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Trump announces he won't run for president - CNN.com

Trump announces he won't run for president

By the CNN Wire Staff
May 16, 2011 1:18 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Real estate mogul and television celebrity Donald Trump, who generated a media publicity blitz by saying he might run for president in 2012, announced Monday that he will instead remain a businessman.

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the presidency," Trump said in a statement.

With his typical bravado, Trump maintained that he would have won the Republican primary and the general election, but recognized that "running for public office cannot be done half-heartedly."

"Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector," Trump said in the statement.

Trump's flirtation with running for the Republican nomination included his demand that President Barack Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

Obama previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning of whether the so-called long version of the document existed, the president released it last month.
What's your reaction to Donald Trump announcing that he won't run? Did you take him seriously as a candidate? Would you have voted for him, had he continued his bid for President?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I was more surprised to hear Huckabee wasn't going to run. I see folks like Trump and Palin as rodeo clowns, serving mostly to distract the opposition while the real candidates position themselves. As it is, it looks like the GOP primary's going to be Mitt Romney's to lose, but we'll see.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's a good thing that he decided not to run. I personally don't believe that anyone(well a lot of people) wouldn't be able to take him seriously if he decided to run. I also don't know how much support he would get if he did.

He's been a successful businessman for a few decades, he should remain in this type of profession.

Just my two cents on how much I know about him.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The biggest obstacle Trump had was he was on record saying that:
  • the United States needed a universal healthcare system like Canada
  • Obama could become the greatest president ever
  • Bush launched an illegal war
  • and abortions are cool
you can also throw in the guy's personal life.

I really like to hear Trump speak. He's a common sense non-politician and he added a lot of early excitement to the race. He could have never won and I'm sure he realizes that. At this stage of the game, I want more candidates. If 50 people declared they were running, that would be fine with me. The best will rise to the top.

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Huckabee-no
Romney-no
Trump-no

The best will rise to the top? Not if we allow liberals to pick republican candidates like last time. We will end up with another ruling class poseur who will say what the right wants to hear then, once elected, will fall in line with the rest of the club.

Trump sure did make it fun for a little while.

shelgarr

Registered Member
I never thought he would run. I mean why would he? He can nearly run the country from where he already sits.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Huckabee-no
Romney-no
Trump-no

The best will rise to the top? Not if we allow liberals to pick republican candidates like last time. We will end up with another ruling class poseur who will say what the right wants to hear then, once elected, will fall in line with the rest of the club.
Yeah that's true. Conservatives do have a grass roots organization this election though that can hopefully bypass the MSM's selection.
btw- who is this Mitch Daniels? He's been getting a lot of buzz in the news cycle which makes me wonder if he's supposed to be this year's John McCain. Any opinion on him?