• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

True scope of economy 28 months after stimulus

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
1.9 Million Fewer Americans Have Jobs Today Than When Obama Signed Stimulus | CNSnews.com

This is one of the most depressing things I've read in awhile. There are a hundred ways to look at this:
  • Keynesian fail?
  • What nation has added jobs last 2 years?
  • What did they do right?
  • End of the road for Obama?
  • How much worse will it get?

Those are all valid and worth discussing. This article means something deeper for me though. Its a reminder to thank God for the job I have even if its not perfect and doesn't have benefits. Its a challenge to me to give my job everything I have while I'm there. Be the first there, work like hell, find new ways to attract business. Continue to prepare for the worst. Spend as much time with my kids as possible and give them the best education and work ethic that I can. Awaken my entrepreneurial spirit and always remember that no matter how bad things are, I am always the one in charge of my destiny.
------
I think things are going to get much worse and I think it all starts this summer when QE2 runs out, horrible job numbers roll in and OPEC spikes oil. Maybe I'm wrong though. But the article also reminds me to have friends that will ground you and that you can encourage. Most importantly is to have faith in God. Always remember this is far from the worst situation that's ever been faced and compared to most of the history its pretty easy.

Anyway, just some midnight musings from me. Maybe I'll find a happier story to read and crash for tonight.

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I hope you're wrong about the summer of collapse. We are in for more tough times and the longer we put it off the worse it will be when we finally have to face our problems and pay the bill. I have little doubt they will triple down on dumb and the fed will continue to manufacture more dollars to buy bad debt.

But I am also hopeful and optimistic, just because that's how I roll. I have the love of my wife, daughter, and family. I have great friends that bring joy to my life. I have the skills to feed my family no matter what. And I am blessed with the gift of life and the freedom to choose my own path. I have all I need.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
1.9 Million Fewer Americans Have Jobs Today Than When Obama Signed Stimulus | CNSnews.com

This is one of the most depressing things I've read in awhile. There are a hundred ways to look at this:
  • Keynesian fail?
  • What nation has added jobs last 2 years?
  • What did they do right?
  • End of the road for Obama?
  • How much worse will it get?
Those are all valid and worth discussing. This article means something deeper for me though. Its a reminder to thank God for the job I have even if its not perfect and doesn't have benefits. Its a challenge to me to give my job everything I have while I'm there. Be the first there, work like hell, find new ways to attract business. Continue to prepare for the worst. Spend as much time with my kids as possible and give them the best education and work ethic that I can. Awaken my entrepreneurial spirit and always remember that no matter how bad things are, I am always the one in charge of my destiny.
------
I think things are going to get much worse and I think it all starts this summer when QE2 runs out, horrible job numbers roll in and OPEC spikes oil. Maybe I'm wrong though. But the article also reminds me to have friends that will ground you and that you can encourage. Most importantly is to have faith in God. Always remember this is far from the worst situation that's ever been faced and compared to most of the history its pretty easy.

Anyway, just some midnight musings from me. Maybe I'll find a happier story to read and crash for tonight.
This is the mindset to have, in my opinion. I've always had the mindset of being in charge of my own destiny and not depending on the government, or anyone else for that matter, to take care of anything for me. In my opinion, that's the mindset that is lacking and is a major factor in why we are in the economic mess we're in.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
What nation has added jobs last 2 years?
I think this question is key when talking about the economy and jobs. Not only what country has added jobs in the last 2 (or 10) years, but have they added jobs that used to be done here?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
You're reading CNS, the brainchild and megaphone of Brent Bozell, the infamous 'Parents' Television Council' and 'Conservative Victory Committee' freakbag who sees the end of society behind every rock and tree? Then you deserve to be weirded out by his latest crazy musings. These perennial Doomsday scenarios are as common as Noah's Ark findings and are likewise all false alarms.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I think this question is key when talking about the economy and jobs. Not only what country has added jobs in the last 2 (or 10) years, but have they added jobs that used to be done here?
I think the answer to that is Germany. Although I have no idea how they did it, I do seem to remember a news story about the booming German economy.
Where's Sim when you need him?
------
You're reading Brent Bozell, the infamous 'Parents' Television Council' and 'Conservative Victory Committee' freakbag who sees the end of society behind every rock and tree? Then you deserve to be weirded out by his latest crazy musings. These perennial Doomsday scenarios are as common as Noah's Ark findings and are likewise all false alarms.
I don't know Brent Bozell. I thought he was a football player, but maybe not. Likewise I've never read the books(or blogs or websites or magazines) Parents Television Council or Victory Committee. I also don't see the end of society, just relatively difficult times. Its a fact the QE2 is ending. Its a fact that job numbers are weakening. Its a fact that OPEC has been openly discussing spiking oil. I don't need the Boz to tell me those things.

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I don't know Brent Bozell. I thought he was a football player, but maybe not.
Ah, you may be thinking of Brian Bosworth, flamboyant father of the modern douche culture.

Likewise I've never read the books(or blogs or websites or magazines) Parents Television Council or Victory Committee.
Nevertheless, a willing Bozell consumer you are, as this thread with his DNA on it, heralding the possible imminent end of society, clearly demonstrates. Those name changes, by the way, demonstrate how he got more clever with time in trying to make his ideas appear mainstream. If you want to know how whacked out and counterproductively quixotic the guy is, just google his name alongside Mick Foley's and have a read.

I also don't see the end of society, just relatively difficult times.
Well, then, there's another similarity between us. :)
------
Oh, one more thing: the data.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The link was really short and really only covered one fact:

In February 2009, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that 141.7 million people were employed. By the end of May 2011 – the last month for which data are available – that number had fallen to 139.8 million, a difference of 1.9 million.
well and this also:
In a Washington Post op-ed, former White House chief economist Larry Summers noted that the percentage of the population that has a job has not improved, even though the economy is technically in recovery.
“From the first quarter of 2006 to the first quarter of 2011, the U.S. economy’s growth rate averaged less than 1 percent a year,” Summers wrote. “The fraction of the population working remains almost exactly at its recession trough, and recent reports suggest that growth is slowing.”

The fraction of the population with a job has in fact fallen in the 28 months since Congress passed the stimulus – down from 60.3 percent in February 2009 to 58.4 percent in May 2011.
I find those 2 things to be depressing and rather sobering. My response to reading that is to work harder, smarter and longer.

I remember the Boz as a movie star, right? That dude was great, wish he was writing for a websites.
------
I just did a quick read on the Boz. I can't believe I forgot about that dude. Generally, I have a fantastic memory. Man, that guy's a 1st class loser.

Last edited: