True Patriotism

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Steerpike, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

What is true patriotism?

Discuss the nature of a true patriot.

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Patriotism is the love of ones country and things associated with it. A true patriot supports, feels pride for, and is willing to sacrifice and serve for his or her country.

"The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility and out of self-interest for himself, his family, and the future of his country to resist government abuse of power."

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

How does this "love," "support," and willingness "to sacrifice" manifest themselves for a true patriot?

4. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

The nation is divided, half patriots and half traitors, and no man can tell which from which.

5. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

The question of what is a true patriot hinges mainly on how you define patriotism itself. There are those that think that patriots show undying support to their leader(s). Some who think that patriots show undying support to their flag. I personally have a much broader definition of country. I believe that the country is everyone and everything in the country, physically or theoretically. This means it's citizens, it's leaders, it's ideals, and everything in between.

So therefore a true patriot is someone who supports their fellow countrymen and gives of themselves for the good of the country as a whole. Soldiers, for instance, are patriots in my eyes, even though I may not support everything they are ordered to do. They took it upon themselves to put their lives on the line for their country. They sacrificed of themselves for the benefit of the rest of us. In my opinion, if you vote, you are a patriot, because you are showing your support for your country by saying how you wish this country to be run. The mere act of voting proves that you have a vested interest in this country and want it to move forward in a better direction, regardless of who or what you vote for. In your mind, what you have voted for is what you believe is best for you, me, and the country as a whole.