Movies True Grit(remake)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Coen Brothers are remaking the classic John Wayne movie that was released in 1969. There's a lot of top notch actors in this movie, Matt Damon, Jeff Bridges and Josh Brolin. Jeff Bridges will be portraying Wayne's character named Marshall Reuben.

Even with all these good actors, I don't want to see a remake of this classic. It will take a lot for them to top the original, and even then I doubt they'll be able to do so. I'll probably end up seeing it though.

Thoughts on the remake of True Grit?

wolfheart

Registered Member
I have to admit my first thoughts on this was leave it alone, the original was a showcase for the aging Wayne and ernt him an oscar nomination for best actor.

I have looked around at this production since I first heard about it, and it would seem that it will be based more from the book than the Wayne version, I will probably end up seeing it at some point but it is not one I will be rushing out to see.

I'm not fully sold on Jeff Bridges playing the lead either, but who knows he may put in a memerable performance as the drunken one eyed us marshal.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never been a fan of Bridges, I admit he's a good actor, but I don't know if he can portray Marshall like Wayne did.

I didn't know that they were going more towards the book version than the original movie, but even then I'm still skeptical on them making a new version of True Grit.

I'm almost positive there's not a lot of John Wayne fans here at the forums, but I suggest you guys to watch the original if you haven't done so, especially before seeing this new one.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Bridges has his moments and can play characters who have a slightly messed up moral compass, but he is not one of my favorite actors.

The main problem I can see with this remake is John Wayne, he left some mighty big boots to fill with his performance as Cogburn and had some very very talented actors working along side him.

I wonder if the coen brothers are already playing with the idea of the sequel as well, it does seem to be a trend to start thinking about the sequel before the first has done anything.

I am not the biggest Wayne fan, but True grit and the sequel Rooster Cogburn are two that I really enjoyed.
My dad is in the camp that thinks it should never be remade, Wayne was his favorite actor and he almost all of his films in his collection, including the really early B movies before he made Stagecoach.

I very much doubt that he will sit and watch the remake.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I really want to see this. I love Jeff Bridges and I love the Coen brothers, and was never really a fan of John Wayne so the whole sacrilegious remake thing doesn't bother me.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm sorry, but I really can't get past just how "Western' it is. I can't stand Western movies, so whether this is the best movie to come out in the next year or not, I won't be watching it. :-/

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm sorry, but I really can't get past just how "Western' it is. I can't stand Western movies, so whether this is the best movie to come out in the next year or not, I won't be watching it. :-/
That doesn't bother me at all. If a filmmaker wants to tell a good story with interesting characters, I don't care what the setting or genre is.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That doesn't bother me at all. If a filmmaker wants to tell a good story with interesting characters, I don't care what the setting or genre is.
That goes for me as well, with westerns being the only exception, I'm afraid. And I have a feeling this is going to be one of those must see movies that everyone will love. Let me know when you've seen it if it's brilliant enough for me to sit through the torture and I will consider it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't care for westerns either, but I really want to see this. The Coen brothers have put out some amazing stuff and I've heard this is pretty good as well.