• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Trouble With AT&T 2WIRE Wireless Internet

moodyblueskid

I have been having trouble with my 2WIRE AT&T internet service. It goes too slow, and it is at one or two bars, but mostly one. It even takes about one minute to load an entire page. I don't know what's happening. Can anyone help please. By the way, I can't move it, because the computer in another room needs internet, and this one is too far away to use a cable. I don't know what to do! I NEED HELP!:rant:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Did you try calling your service provider? It's possible that there could be a service outage in your area and you haven't been made aware of it. Most telecommunications companies don't make outages public knowledge unless you call in to ask about it.

I'd also consider downloading Spybot: Search and Destroy to make sure that you don't have any spyware bogging down the connection. You'd also do well to close all other programs and see if you have anything effecting the connection speed.

Doc

V.I.P.
Even if it's been like that for about 5 or 6 months? And since we got it?
I would give them a call. It sounds like it works off of the cell phone network. They're notorious for not being as fast in houses. If you have a way to take the device closer to a window I think you'll discover that you'll gain one or more bars of service.

dDave

V.I.P.
What's the advertised speed that you should be getting?

You can check how fast your connection actually is with this Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

To get an accurate assessment you'll need to make sure that no other computer in the house is using any of your bandwidth (no laptops, game consoles, netflix, etc.) Test on multiple machines (plugged into your router if at all possible, otherwise get as close as you can)

Doc

V.I.P.
Dave, since it runs off of a cell phone network the advertised speeds aren't guaranteed. They have it written into their terms of service that service cannot be guaranteed at all times. Their best bet is to call AT&T and discuss the connection issues with them. From what I understand 2WIRE is only meant to be used for a single computer.

dDave

V.I.P.
Dave, since it runs off of a cell phone network the advertised speeds aren't guaranteed. They have it written into their terms of service that service cannot be guaranteed at all times. Their best bet is to call AT&T and discuss the connection issues with them. From what I understand 2WIRE is only meant to be used for a single computer.
Oh ok. I know that I get internet wirelessly and I still use a router and everything with my setup. I thought it might be similar to mine.

You can still run speedtest and see how fast your connection is though. If it's constantly slow I'd just get rid of it and get something better though.