• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Trip to the UK

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Last December my Mum, her partner and me traveled to the UK to spend Christmas with my sister. It was my first time visiting the UK.

We spent a lot of time in London, went to Paris for a day (I'd been there before), Cardiff for a day, and spent a week in a small village in the Cotswolds. While there we also visited Bath and Oxford.

I had a great time while I was there, but learnt one thing, I would NEVER want to live in London haha. Of all the places we went, Bath was probably my favourite. That whole town was so beautiful.

It's crazy seeing just how many little things are so different to Australia when you are in England. The countries are similar of course, considering Australia was settled by the British, but at the same time they are just so different.

This is a photo I took on my phone while I was in London. It's one of my favourite photos from the trip.

And here's a very glamorous photo of me with Big Ben.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I went to London about 12 years ago and it's still one of my favorite cities that I've ever been to. There's so much to see and do there, and it's so different than anywhere in America. I'd love to go back some day.

Glad you had a great time, and thanks for sharing a couple of pics.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It is an amazing city. As much as I say I wouldn't want to live there, I loved visiting. And would love to visit again some day. So much history and the buildings are amazing. I loved visiting the Tower of London.

dDave

V.I.P.
England is a place that I've always wanted to visit. I've wanted to go to Europe for a long time now but really England is the one place I REALLY want to see.

Looks like you had a lot of fun on your trip.

I couldn't imagine living in a big city or a really crowded country. I'm used to living at 7,000 feet (dry and arid) in a place where there aren't a whole lot of people. I get really claustrophobic when I'm around lots of people for an extended period of time.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Pretty sure I've walked right where that first pic was taken haha

Glad you had fun...I've been to England 3 times but only went to London the very first time. I enjoyed it but like you wouldn't wanna live there.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would love to visit London but like you I doubt I would want to live there. That would include any large city anywhere. Just never been a fan of large cities but they are nice places to visit. So much to do, they usually have a lot of historical places and great museums.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Pretty sure I've walked right where that first pic was taken haha
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've been there as well. I think that's Piccadilly Circus and there's Ripley's Believe it or Not right there.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I would love to visit London but like you I doubt I would want to live there. That would include any large city anywhere. Just never been a fan of large cities but they are nice places to visit. So much to do, they usually have a lot of historical places and great museums.
I live in a city of over 4 million people, but even for someone from a city London was just too chaotic for me. It was basically 24/7 mayhem. And it took SO long to get anywhere. That would be my main issue with living there. You could say you'd meet a friend for dinner, and it could take you 1-2 hours just to get to the restaurant. It was such an effort and took such a long time to get anywhere, that I'm pretty sure if I lived there I'd just be a hermit and stay in my apartment since I was too lazy for the travel time.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I live in a city of over 4 million people, but even for someone from a city London was just too chaotic for me. It was basically 24/7 mayhem. And it took SO long to get anywhere. That would be my main issue with living there. You could say you'd meet a friend for dinner, and it could take you 1-2 hours just to get to the restaurant. It was such an effort and took such a long time to get anywhere, that I'm pretty sure if I lived there I'd just be a hermit and stay in my apartment since I was too lazy for the travel time.
The largest city I ever lived in was about a million people and that included the suburbs. Even that made me crazy. Now I live in a area where you can walk outside and not see anyone, not even a house. Which is why I don't have decent internet or cell phone service.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think I'd want to live in London either, but I felt like it was easy to get around using the public transportation. The tube system was great and gets you just about anywhere in the city without too much trouble. It's probably a nightmare to drive around London though.