Tricks You Learned in Grade School That You Still Use Today

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Teachers often have little tricks they teach kids to help them learn anything from multiplication tables to the elements. Some are so effective and catchy they just stick. Which ones do you still use today?

'Big Elephants Can't Always Use Small Exits' to spell 'BECAUSE'.

Just kidding. errrrrm, if I need the order of the planets for some reason then I'll use the mnemonic I learnt in school to check myself.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Everything can be left till tomorrow. Just make sure you prepare a reasonable excuse ;). Ummm...A trick I learned for multiplying by 9's was that the sum of every answer you get by multiplying by 9 will equal 9.

For example:

9x2=18 (1+8=9)
9x3=27 (2+7=9)
9x4=36 (3+6=9)
etc.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I don't use it anymore, but I remember a neat trick for multiplying things by 9. Lets say you wanted to multiply 9x4, you hold all 10 fingers up and put the 4th one down (what you are multiplying it by). Then you count how many fingers you have up to the left of the down finger (3) and to the right of it (6), put them together and you have your answer... 36

Last edited:

rsonmor

Registered Member
honestly i havent learned any real tricks for remembering stuff yet in my school life although there are probably some that i use and dont realize it because i use them subconsciously

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
when adding numbers in my head, lets say 352 plus 123. I just add 300 + 100, then 50 plus 20, then 2 plus three. then add 400 + 70 + 5. So much simpler to do in your head. =P

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I sing. You know how they sell the tapes to learn multiplication tables? I do that, I still know the song. :lol:

I don't use it anymore, but I remember a neat trick for multiplying things by 9. Lets say you wanted to multiply 9x4, you hold all 10 fingers up and put the 4th one down (what you are multiplying it by). Then you count how many fingers you have up to the left of the down finger (3) and to the right of it (6), put them together and you have your answer... 36
Oh yeeah I remember that one! It was actually probably my favourite 'trick' because I absolutely hated times tables/multiplication at school. Any help or short-cuts were highly valued.

I don't use it any more though. Half because I forgot about it, half because I don't find myself needing to multiple by 9..ever.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I remember a couple from secondary school. For French, "little children piss in la piscine". For Maths, SoDiT when remembering the speed, distance and time formula triangle.