• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Tributes paid to 'comic genius' Sir Norman Wisdom

MisterT

Registered Member

Sir Norman Wisdom was a "beloved comic genius" and "true icon of the entertainment world", the agency which discovered the comedian and actor has said.

The 95-year-old died peacefully at the Abbotswood Nursing Home on the Isle of Man on Monday, having suffered a series of strokes in the last six months.

Jan Kennedy, managing director of Billy Marsh Associates, the agency which discovered Sir Norman in the early 1950s, paid tribute to his "remarkable" career.

She said: "Norman was simply a beloved comic genius. His whole personality projected a childlike warmth and innocent appeal that touched the hearts of everyone.

"We all loved and admired him as a true icon of the entertainment world. He will be sorely missed and our heartfelt thoughts are with his family at this sad time."

Wisdom, at 5ft 4in, was the ultimate slapstick artist, toppling his pint-sized frame to the floor time and time again. From a poverty-stricken childhood, he starred in 32 sitcoms, 19 films and won Royal approval with a string of Command Performances. His success also made him a multi-millionaire knight of the realm.

In a brief statement, his family said: "He (Sir Norman) had maintained a degree of independence until a few days ago.

"However, over the last few days his condition rapidly declined. He was in no pain or distress and peacefully passed over at 18.46 on October 4."

Phil Day, who had been his publicist since 1969, said: "He never turned down any request. He never threw a tantrum. He was 100 per cent professional all of the time."

Johnny Mans, Sir Norman's agent for more than 30 years, told BBC News: "It's absolutely devastating. I thought he'd go on until he was at least 100 and get his telegram from the Queen. He was not only a client, he was my best friend."

Saffy

Registered Member
I was watching a bit about this on tv this morning. Apparently he was a god in Albania as he was his films were on of the few they were allowed to watch, so lucky he should be someone who coul make people laugh.:)
He is supposed to have said one time, " my work is geared towards children between the ages of 3 and 93":D