• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Treasury target taxpayers for their parents old debts

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A few weeks ago, with no notice, the U.S. government intercepted Mary Grice’s tax refunds from both the IRS and the state of Maryland. Grice had no idea that Uncle Sam had seized her money until some days later, when she got a letter saying that her refund had gone to satisfy an old debt to the government — a very old debt.

When Grice was 4, back in 1960, her father died, leaving her mother with five children to raise. Until the kids turned 18, Sadie Grice got survivor benefits from Social Security to help feed and clothe them.

Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents decades-old debts - The Washington Post
I don't see how they can do this to people. They are taking taxpayers refunds because of overpayment of social security benefits to parents decades ago. The parents are now deceased so they are going after the children's tax refunds. I can see them taking people tax refunds if they themselves were the ones that was overpaid but not someone that had nothing to do with it other than being their child. All this because of a single sentence in the farm bill.

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
In my opinion it is unconstitutional and goes beyond the powers granted to any body in Washington. One cannot be held responsible for the debt of another. They may have a claim against the estate, and if those children are heirs of that estate they may have a claim, but if the estate has been probated they are SOL, however the federal government has a way of not believing the law applied to them.

Sidenote: It's painfully obvious to me the Treasury Department is one giant cluster fuck and not a single person seems to know what the hell is going on. It's beyond pathetic.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree CO they are one big giant cluster fuck. I don't know why they would put something like this in the farm bill to begin with. Just shows you when they are voting on this farm bill you had better pay attention to what they are voting on. Most people think the farm bill is just about farming.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's always been my complaint, just because you call it a "Farm Bill" doesn't mean it helps farms, or is even a good law. It's just like calling it a "Jobs Bill" and people assume, by the name, it's a magic wand that creates jobs. They put in things like this all the time, but if anyone would have objected to this addition the reaction would have been "Congressman ____ hates farmers and wants them to starve".

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think they should get back to the farm bill just covering farming and that's it. I don't know what collecting overpayment's for SS benefits would have to do with it. These kinds of add on's get through because they know they have to pass a farm bill or the farmers will be upset.

If anyone want to see what the farm bill covers here is a link. I'm not sure if this really covers it all because I never saw where it mentioned collecting old SS overpayments from kids.

NSAC – What is the Farm Bill?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Looks like at least two senators are against this. I hope more get on board with stopping this stupid practice.

Mary Grice's story, which was first reported in the Washington Post, led to a very quick reaction from Congress. Two senators -- Barbara Boxer and Barbara Mikulski -- have asked that Social Security stop going after decades-old debt when the taxpayer involved was a child.

Can the government seize your tax refund to pay a relative's debt? - CBS News

Taliesin

Registered Member
This is completely outrageous! It sounds to me like they're just being greedy and nothing more. There is absolutely no other justifiable for them to go after someone to call in someone else's debts. Greed, pure and simple.

What's next? Lock someone up because their parents committed a crime back when they were four years old? It's ludicrous.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm glad they've ceased and desisted with this ridiculous program. Honestly, what were they thinking? Oh, that's right... they were thinking dollar signs. :-/

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Looks like for at least the time being the SS administration has suspended going after these overpayment's from adult children.
They shouldn't have been going after the money in the first place. You can't hold a child responsible for their parent's debts. It's ridiculous. It's just like the "three generation" sentencing in Best Korea where three entire generations of a family is incarcerated for their ancestor's crime.