Traveling by train/Amtrak

Discussion in 'Travel, Points & Rewards' started by AnitaKnapp, Jul 29, 2009.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Have you ever traveled by train?
    Have you ever used Amtrak? What are the accommodations like? Would you recommend it?

I never have, and have often been curious to do it. I was thinking of using it in the near future, but I'm worried about how comfortable the accommodations would actually be.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've never taken any super long train trips, just a couple 4-5 hour trips.

I took Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver which was nice since it was scenic the whole way.

I took the TGV from Paris to Marseilles. Those trains are a lot better than the ones we have here though. Plus I was in first class.

Amtrak is similar to a bus or airplane as far as comfort goes, but it's cool cause you can get up and walk around the train (walk to the food car or whatever). If it's an overnight train then you can probably sleep for a good part of the trip.

3. AnitaKnapp

I would probably mostly be sleeping, if I did take one. Is it comfortable enough to be able to go to sleep? I can sleep on an airplane, but it's not all that comfy because the seats don't lean back far enough.

4. Major

If you can sleep on an airplane then you should definitely be able to sleep on a train. The comfort and space should be about the same. And trains are pretty smooth.

5. AnitaKnapp

Oh. If it's about the same comfort, I would probably pass. 22 hours vs. 3 hours at the same comfort level, I'd rather take the shorter time.
    I don't find airplanes all that comfy.

6. Major

It's worth it to me just to avoid dealing with airports. Actually I prefer driving, but trains are fun. If you can sleep most of the way, then what's an extra 19 hours?

7. AnitaKnapp

Well, for $183 there, and $110 on the way back, that brings the total to $293 for a train ride. The plane ride I can get for $290...so I save like $3 (lol), plus meals I would have had to pay for on the train (although that may offset baggage handling costs the airports now charge you for) and I would save 19 hours.

I would love to do it just to try it, but I'm really not seeing the benefit of it here. Especially if the seating accommodations are about the same as on an airplane. I honestly expected the accommodations to be a little larger and more comfy than a plane.

8. Major

If flying is cheaper then you should definitely do that. Southwest doesn't charge for checking bags, so see if they have any cheap flights.

9. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I've travelled by train several times but I have never used Amtrak.

10. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

The longest I've used the train is 30 minutes from my area to the city. Never took one of those long fancy rides.