Trapped in a cupboard

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I've been asked to look after someone's dogs. I am here now in fact, their dogs are two Boxer cross Springers and something that looks like a womble on all fours. Yet they are all cute and pretty well behaved. Until I get the dog food out that is. So, I decided to make their dinner in the cupboard under the stairs.

What the owner did not tell me is that if I closed the cupboard door I wouldn't be able to open it from the inside. I was in there for an hour or so. He's not back yet, and seeing as I tried to prise the door open with a pair of sheers that he had in there, well, the door jamb is a bit worn. Yet this method did not get me out.

Whilst in there, understandably annoyed and worried I managed to route around and find *guess* -- You'll never do it. The dagger from the board game Cluedo. Honestly, you'll think I'm making this up but I'm not. The bloody dagger from bloody Cluedo.

Using the sheers to prise the pannel off of the doorknob. The knob itself had already fallen off in my hand. I managed to grip the thing that was supposed to be attached to the knob on my side with the hilt of the Cluedo dagger, and pull the shaft back through the lock. I reattached the knob and managed to get out. It pissed me off and considering they're gone for a week I was also scared. I thought I'd end up having to eat the dog's food.

I wish he'd told me about that. Now I have to repair the doorknob, and perhaps get my hands on paint to cover up the wear and tear o nthe door jamb. BLOODY ANNOYING.

-- Anyone else had a similar experience when looking after someone else's property? I hope so, I might not feel so stupid, unlucky and irresponsible. Cheers. :)

Danno

Registered Member
I was asked to take care of a friends ferrett whilst they went on holiday for a week and it ran away, so I tried the old, buy a new one and hope they don't notice routine. I amazingly got lucky.

Your story is waaaaay stupider but entertaining to just sit and think about lol.

All the things to save you and it has to be a dagger from Cluedo. Brilliant!

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I was asked to take care of a friends ferrett whilst they went on holiday for a week and it ran away, so I tried the old, buy a new one and hope they don't notice routine. I amazingly got lucky.

Your story is waaaaay stupider but entertaining to just sit and think about lol.

All the things to save you and it has to be a dagger from Cluedo. Brilliant!
Honestly, I wish I were lying but I am not. Yesterday, locked in that ****ing cupboard...

Kudos on the new ferret. Remind me of Only Fools and Horses... "I want a Canary" pmsl.

Danno

Registered Member
Honestly, I wish I were lying but I am not. Yesterday, locked in that ****ing cupboard...

Kudos on the new ferret. Remind me of Only Fools and Horses... "I want a Canary" pmsl.
Yup thats was exactly what I was thinking at the time :lol:

"He is like one of the family. He is my own Flesh and Blood"

"I'll give you forty five pounds"

"OKAYY DOKEYY"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Roxy101

Registered Member
i'd say that was real scary for you at the time, but when u think back does it make u laugh?

Arathald

Registered Member
I wish he'd told me about that. Now I have to repair the doorknob, and perhaps get my hands on paint to cover up the wear and tear o nthe door jamb. BLOODY ANNOYING.

-- Anyone else had a similar experience when looking after someone else's property? I hope so, I might not feel so stupid, unlucky and irresponsible. Cheers. :)
If you are (as I think) suggesting that you're going to try to cover it up, I would not do that, but rather simply restore the door to working condition, then wait for your friend to come home and tell him what happened.

I've never had something like this happen while looking after someone's house, but I remember when I was very little, I used the bathroom in a family friends' house, and when I went to leave, I couldn't get the doorknob to turn (I had either already unlocked it, or it was the type you unlock by turning the doorknob, I don't remember). They eventually had to pass me a set of vicegrips through the half-window in the bathroom (it was in a sublevel), and I used that to open the door. I remember it was a whole big production, and, being very little, my sense of time was probably a bit off, but it seemed like it took 30-45 minutes to get me out of there.

Saffy

Registered Member
that must have been a bit panicky for you being alone, i bet the dogs were worried too,,, that they wouldnt get their dinner:lol::lol:

I got locked in my bathroom a few weeks ago, luckily My sis was here but couldnt get me out as the mechanism in the door had jammed or something like that,, the door know just wouldnt turn. In the end we had to ring my husband who eventually just had to bash it in:nod: