Transition Glasses, Worth It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, May 16, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Have you ever used transition glasses? The types where they fade to sunglasses when you go outside?

Did you like them? Why or why not?

I am going to get some new glasses soon and I'm wondering if this might be a nice feature to add. I've heard both good and bad things.

One of the bad things I heard is that since your windshield in a car has built in UV protection, the lenses won't get dark when you drive.

2. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I have always refused to get them. But since I have no experience with them I can't really tell you from experience how I like them, but one thing that has always bothered me about the few people I know who do have them is that they never seem to go quite all the way back to clear. Like in school they would still seem to be a tinge of gray, and it probably was hardly enough for them to notice, but it was clearly noticeable.. While they probably couldn't even tell the difference, it was just something I noticed and it would probably drive me insane.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, supposedly the new stuff is much better when it comes to going back to all clear. I've noticed that same thing actually with people I've known who had these.

4. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I have never tried them, but my friend has them. Every time she went outside they changed into sunglasses which is fair enough and is what they are supposed to do, but when she came inside it took them like 10-20 minutes to go back to normal inside glasses, so she would be stuck with sunglasses a little longer than she needed.

I don't think I would get them personally.