• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Transgenders and Sports

BigBob

Registered Member
I can understand if you're born both at birth, but not if you go from one to another in your lifetime. I still believe it puts you at an advantage if you're a guy-to-girl (not in all cases) because you're going to be a lot stronger then them.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can understand if you're born both at birth, but not if you go from one to another in your lifetime. I still believe it puts you at an advantage if you're a guy-to-girl (not in all cases) because you're going to be a lot stronger then them.
Exactly. It's extremely unfair to "legitimate" women if a sex change patient competes against them. I agree with the birth rule 100%.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

Gender is so much more than which set of external equipment you have.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

Gender is so much more than which set of external equipment you have.
Gender, yes.

Sex, no. You either have a penis, a vagina, or a mix of the two generally speaking. Gender, being the mental side of the human sexuality coin, is obviously much deeper as you've said. However, there is biology at play here and that's the part that will really make these discussions hard.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Gender, yes.

Sex, no. You either have a penis, a vagina, or a mix of the two generally speaking. Gender, being the mental side of the human sexuality coin, is obviously much deeper as you've said. However, there is biology at play here and that's the part that will really make these discussions hard.
That's why I said gender. Gender is chromosomes and hormones and physical size and rates of development and more. It's more than just primary sex characteristics.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I understand people asking for respect for their social gender, but in the case of physical competition, men and women are not segregated by gender for social or cultural reasons, they're segregated because people with a Y chromosome produce more testosterone, and thus more physical prowess and potential, than their counterparts. And they damn well know it.

Biological gender (as in, determined by whether or not you have that Y chromosome) should be used for the sake of the other athletes, who deserve an equal amount of respect.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
That's why I said gender. Gender is chromosomes and hormones and physical size and rates of development and more. It's more than just primary sex characteristics.
I know why you said it. I explained it in case anyone got confused. The first three classes in my Human Sexuality course in college were spent with the teacher frustratingly explain time and time again the difference between gender and sex.

I understand people asking for respect for their social gender, but in the case of physical competition, men and women are not segregated by gender for social or cultural reasons, they're segregated because people with a Y chromosome produce more testosterone, and thus more physical prowess and potential, than their counterparts. And they damn well know it.
This is part of my thinking. Also, golf is more of a precision sport. You don't exactly have to be in peak physical shape to play, you just need talent. It's another reason I don't really see much of a problem since hormonal differences won't account for much.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Let her play. Sports like golfing should not be into politics like transgender discrimination. Let her play, save the LPGA some money. She had other motivations than to win big because she has the build of a man.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Let her play. Sports like golfing should not be into politics like transgender discrimination. Let her play, save the LPGA some money. She had other motivations than to win big because she has the build of a man.
You know this is not a political discussion, right? This is more a biological one if anything. It's about how we discuss gender, sex, and the rights of those we've discriminated against in the past.