• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Transgender teacher wins $60K

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Leo Soell, transgender teacher, wins $60K settlement for co-workers’ improper gender pronouns

They wasn't awarded this money because they wanted to be referred to as she or he and people wouldn't do that but because they wanted to be referred to as they. They says they don't identify as he or she. Also there was no evidence of harassment so why should they get anything.

This crap is going too far. Its getting really ridiculous.

Thoughts?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
This case may be a bit over the top, 60k is an awful lot for this. But I also think English needs to catch up. Many languages have added a gender-neutral pronoun to their dictionaries, why shouldn't we do the same? They/Them works to an extent but can be confusing for people to "relearn" how to use the word, as it usually refers to multiple people not just one. Creating a new set of pronouns for gender-neutrals would be the way to proceed I think.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I think if I had someone pressing me to use the "preferred" pronouns to describe some really personal shit that I don't understand and threatened me with a $60,000 lawsuit if I didn't get it right... I'd probably wave a finger at them and say "............yoooooooouts"

And then we'd be in court going like this...

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
But "they/them" isn't even about being gender neutral...it just doesn't work grammatically (plural pronouns intended to substitute plural nouns). "It" would make more sense - it's devoid of gender, it's neither he nor she, and it's singular ... unless the person is suffering from multiple personality disorder, then I guess "they" pretty much works.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree 'it' works much better.

They claims since the suit everyone feels much better now that they know the boundaries. I bet they is the only one feeling much better. The others probably have as little to do with they as possible out of fear they might get sued if they slip up.