Transfers - Summer 2009

Discussion in 'Football / Soccer' started by English-Emo-Boy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I thought I'd make an official summer transfer thread to save on numerous threads.

Any transfer related stories, rumours or just plain speculation can be discussed, aswell as done deals.

Yesterday Manchester City signed Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry for £12M and are said to be leading the race to sign Tevez from their bitter Manchester rivals.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Just days after Real Madrid completed their chase for Kaka for a reported £56m, they look set to smash the world transfer record by paying £80m for Cristiano Ronaldo. Manchester agreed for Madrid to talk to the player after Ronaldo expressed his desire (again) to leave Man Utd. The deal is set to be concluded on June 30.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

4. English-Emo-Boy

I'm not suprised at all.

If you had followed what had happened over the last season or so you would have seen that everything pointed to a summer exit to Real Madrid.

At the end of last season he said he would have one more year at the club, as he wanted to defend their European crown. He told his close friends and family that he had a strong desire to join his 'boyhood dream club'. He has also brought property near the Spanish Capital and just last week after Man United's disastrious Champions League final defeat to Barcelona he publicly crticised the United's chief Sir Alex Ferguson and said his tactics were all wrong.

All we can do, as fans, is thank him and appreciate what he has done for the club since his arrival, he did win everything with us so he has definitely done his bit and will go into United's hall of fame as one of our greatest players.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we're about to recieve £80M in return, considering we paid £12M for him when he was nothing back in 2003, I'd say that's pretty good business.

With that sort of money we could heavily strengthen the midfield and purchase Tevez.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

What about Karim Benzema or Frank Ribery? I heard they're rumored to be transfered to Manchester although Barcelona wants them too.

6. English-Emo-Boy

You're absolutely right ysabel.

They are the two names mentioned, particularly Ribery who is said to be natural successor to Ronaldo. I think the first thing we'll deal is tie up Tevez on a perminent deal.

I don't know a great deal about Ribery as I've seen very little of him. Is he the real deal Izy and could he potentially fill Ronaldo's boots?

7. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

He is quality but Bayern would want silly money for him.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Ribery is good. Before, no one noticed him much since everyone is well, looking at Zidane. But since his excellent WC 2006 performance and "filling" the gap Zidane left, he's remarkable...in his own way. I'm not sure how to compare him with Ronaldo. I'm sure Bayern would want big bucks to give him up. He's their major player. It's just a battle of who can give the "offer Bayern cannot refuse".

9. RTWmaniac

RTWmaniac Registered Member

I would be surprised to see Ribery leave Bayern. They have continuously stated that he is not for sale. Of course money talks, but he's completely invaluable to a Bayern team that is going to feel some pressure after coming up short this past season. Unless they're getting ridiculous loot, I think it's in their best interest to keep him.

10. English-Emo-Boy

Well Man United have almost £100M to spend thi summer but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to spend any more than £40M on Ribery, if Bayern wanted more than that then I don't think United would be interested and may like to Wigan's Valencia as an alternative.

United need two midfielders and a striker this summer but they must keep their composure in the market and not be ripped off.