• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Transferring Stuff off your DVR

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I was wondering if any of you more technology-advanced board members could help me out here.

I guess in a nutshell what I want to do is take shows off my DVR and transfer them onto a computer, etc. and burn them on a DVD. Does anyone know how to do this? What equipment/programs do I need? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
You'd do just as well to download the shows and burn them like that. It would be cheaper and less complicated. Either way both methods violate copyright laws.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
If you have a DVD burner, you have the program you need. Physically connect your DVR or TV output to your PC and go to town. And if for some reason your software won't do it, free Nero Burnlite 10 will.

Doc

V.I.P.
Physically connect your DVR or TV output to your PC and go to town.
On what input? Hardly any computers have a "video in" option. There's an all-in-one capture card that allows you to run video through your computer and use your PC as a DVR. You can't simply hook your DVR up to your PC and take the stuff off of it. All of the information on it's hard drive should be encoded to keep that from happening as it is a major copyright violation so they take steps to keep it from happening.

Do DVRs even have more than a Cat-5 connection? I wouldn't think that they have USB/Firewire. I know the one I had from DirecTV didn't. They also use different file systems to prevent copypasta.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Thanks guys.

DaStevez, I can't search online because it isn't really a show, it's a local sporting event a family member participated in and some relatives were wondering if they could have a DVD copy of the event.

Tucker, thanks as well. How do I hook my PC up to the DVR? Would as USB cable work or is there a special cord I would need?

Konshentz

Konshentz
That's what I was thinking... you could connect them with a USB cord. Not sure if that'd work, but it's worth a try.

Doc

V.I.P.
Not sure if that'd work, but it's worth a try.
It won't. A DVR uses a Unix filesystem and, at the very best, you could use a Linux distro to see the data. Windows or Mac OS won't recognize that there's any data on the equipment. I'm not even sure if you can recover data with a Linux distro from it.

ATARIGUY

Beermister
Well it depends on the DVR you have as my best friend mom has one with audio and video out on it and I transfer stuff from there to a VCR.

You can buy a VHS to DVD unit for about $125 that allows you to copy from VHS to DVD.