• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Train Derailment leaves 45 dead

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A high speed train derailed in Spain leaving 45 dead and more than a hundred injured. This is the worst train wreck in Spain in 40 years. The train derailed while going around a curve and 4 of the cars piled up on top of each other, one of the train cars looked to be ripped apart.

Poor people to have to go through that.

Spain Train Derailment Leaves Dozens Dead

dDave

V.I.P.
:( That is really tragic. You never hear about train accidents, I guess they're a lot worse that a car accident. Hopefully they can pinpoint whatever cause this and make sure that it doesn't happen again. I was always of the opinion that trains were safe.

Hopefully the death toll does not continue to climb, I know better though. With 141 injured and 78 dead right now I'm sure this is one of the worse train accidents in history.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was really hoping there wouldn't be any more deaths.

This accident may of happened because of speeding. If the engineer was going double the speed limit that is a sure bet. He is now under investigation. I'm glad they have ruled out terrorist activities.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
Yeah, I'm glad too that terroristic activities are not involved. It may be because of the people not taking responsibility in maintenance and stuff

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That's pretty crazy. Trains are definitely one of the safest modes of transportation, but there is obviously more danger involved with these high speed trains. Any kind of crash at those speeds is going to be devastating. It would not surprise me if the engineer had the train going over the speed limit.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
One of the drivers was trapped in his cabin and told the railway station by radio that the train entered the bend at 190 kilometres per hour (120 mph), reported newspaper El Pais. The speed limit on that section of track is 80km/h (50mph).

Spain train crash: U.S. citizen among dead and at least 5 Americans injured | Mail Online
It sounds like to me speeding was the cause. He was going over double the speed limit. One of the dead is an American and so far 5 other Americans were injured.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
When you go over double speed limit around a very dangerous bend, something ought to happen. It's just very lucky that more people did not die from this tragedy considering the aftermath of the crash. For those who survived, count your lucky stars, I reckon. Won't ever get as lucky as that.