Train Bombings in India

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by oxyMORON, Jul 11, 2006.

1. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/07/11/mumbai.blasts/index.html

THis is the big story lately.

"At least 174 killed in Indian train blasts

MUMBAI, India (CNN) -- A series of seven explosions killed at least 174 people on crowded commuter trains and stations Tuesday evening in the Indian financial capital of Mumbai, police said.

Officials said at least 464 people were injured in the blasts in the city's western suburbs as commuters made their way home. All seven blasts came within an 11-minute span, between 6:24 and 6:35 p.m. (12:54 and 1:05 p.m. GMT).

Analysts are comparing the attack with the mass transit bombings in Madrid in 2004 and London last year, saying they all involved a series of mutiple blasts and were well-coordinated.

There was some confusion about the number of dead and injured as information was compiled from hospitals and explosion sites in Mumbai, the west Indian seaport previously called Bombay.

"There still are bodies being recovered," said Pooja Saxena, with the International Federation of the Red Cross, speaking early Wednesday.

CNN-IBN correspondent Jency Jacob was aboard one of the trains during the attacks.

"People started running helter-skelter and started jumping from the train," Jacob said. (Watch rescuers pull victims from wrecked trains -- 1:59)

....."

It's still a developing story so it might change.

So you think terrorists like Al-Queda were behind this? I thnk it's a good possibility. India's a densly populated country, where a decent sized explosion could injure many people.

2. Why would they attack India...India has no troops, etc, in Iraq.

3. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

(again, reposting due to post disappearing in changes)

I think it makes sense that it's an act of terrorism, it seems far too planned out to be an accident, and far too generally hostile to be something personal. However, I don't think it would be Al-Qaeda or other similar terrorist orginizations, as they don't really have much reason to attack India. It seems more possible to me that they are internal terrorists, who have a problem with their own government, or something like that. Still, if we just wait a little while, I'm sure one group or another will confess to it as they always do... otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point of them having attacked like they did.

4. Mecha

Mecha Guest

Terrorism has a very long history, the entire world of bomb making and hatred did not start to revolve around Iraq. :D

Likely it would be related to Pakistan-India relations, or dissident muslims in India.

~Mecha

5. I'd have to agree with Mecha, if it was anyone it would be Pakistan, though I've never seen Pakistan terrorists that organized before, so we will see.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

The Indian train bombings, along with similiar train bombings in Spain and England earlier, help define the utterly illogical, randomness, and threat posed by terrorists... they can strike anywhere and kill innocent civilians... I feel sad for India... but it lends credence for our Homeland Defense apparatus and the Bush Administration's success in preventing more terror strikes here in this nation.

7. Cheezewiz

Cheezewiz Guest

Wow, how horrible. I mean its amazing how terrorists are everywhere. Like no matter where you live, there will eb a terrorist around. And its also amzing how people can be killed so easily. Hmmm, this would be interesting who did this exactly. I doubt al Quada would be in india right now just becuase it seems kindof random. It could be Pakastani terrorists because of the tention between Pakistan and India. Or it could be some random terrorist group just looking to wreck havok. And then there is also the posability that it was crazy Indian terrorist because from looking at history many people kill their own people.