Traffic fines based on wealth

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by ysabel, Jan 18, 2010.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

My friends and I had a discussion about this yesterday. I must admit that the first time I was told about the difference of fines according to wealth, I was shocked. But after looking at it more closely, it does make sense in a way to do it because the richer one is, the less a "fine" would feel like a "fine" and therefore those who have means tend to just disregard the law (and it's very dangerous because violations could lead to mortal accidents) if they feel like they're just going to pay 10 cents, in exchange of the thrill.

Do you find any sense with this or do you think it's just one of the ways the rich are treated unfairly?

Europe slaps rich with bigger traffic fines

$290,000 speeding ticket in Switzerland gets the attention of drivers

URL: Europe slaps rich with bigger traffic fines - Europe- msnbc.com

2. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I think that its a good idea. Here in manitoba I've seen wealthier individuals carelessly speed because the fines are affordable to pay. If the fines related to income the wealthy people would get a fair ticket and unwealthy, one moment of mistake people wouldn't get poorer just because of one error in judgement.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

What if you don't have any wealth, that you live off the government? Free pass? haha =D

Um... as for this whole idea I completely disagree. Well, for one, it's speeding! $2oo,ooo+ ticket JUST for speeding? And, I use "JUST" because there are many more important issues to worry about in the world then speeding, I believe. Not only that, but I smell a scam from the government implementing this idea to get more dough for their city aka themselves. I know, it's a conspiracy, but it's worth thinking about.

Also, what's from stopping the police from "happening" to pull over somebody who is with a lot of wealth? Yes, they just "happen" to pull over this rich fellow on their daily routine. Also, also, on top of that I don't trust the officers 100% on this. With the amount of people claiming here in the US that the ticket they got was BS it makes me wonder how many of those tickets were actually BS. I mean, $2oo,ooo to pull somebody over and give them a crock-of-bologna ticket isn't that unimaginable.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Definitely not. Laws are made to be followed by all people and to be applied to all people fairly. It sounds like the typical "hate the wealthy" mentality a lot of people have these days.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

While we're at it, why don't we make all fines scale according to wealth? For that matter, why don't we make the cost of groceries, or gas, or your heating bill scale? :rolleyes:

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

A lot of people would probably love that idea.

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think it's a stupid idea. If wealthy people want to speed because they can afford it, they can risk having their license suspended. It's their choice.

8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

It's the same logic we use here in America when we want higher taxes on the rich because they can afford it.

It's not fair to them. As much as I'd like to see them taxed more.. it's just not feasable. Fairness should extend to all classes. They should be subject to the same fines as everyone else.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Ha, I asked the same thing. :lol: I think they put a cut off where for this amount of income you pay the basic fine. I yet have to see how they're really applying this. I didn't even know there were cases already here in France but I think it's more of a court judgement than an automatic fine you get billed.

The latter won't follow the same principle. :dunno: One of the objectives of fines is to deter violations. The way it's linked to wealth is to make sure that the fines (though varied in amount) have more or less the same deterring effect on people. If you're extremely rich, paying 200 dollars is just like giving a tip. For middle income people, that's already a week's meal and thus it has a bigger consequence for them to get fined.

I think that's the loophole of fines - they're just financial punishments and when applied on a fixed rate, punishes people differently according to their financial situation. I think it'll be more efficient for traffic violations to have other consequences not related to fines, but say, points...that when you accumulate, will force you to go months of traffic school/courses and temporary removal of license.

10. Susano

Susano Registered Member

And HENCE pegging it to income and wealth. Its a fine, not a price tag! First and foremost its supposed to hurt, and to make it hurt you have to up it for wealthy people.