• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Traditional Forums vs Social Media

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was contemplating the evolution of the Internet recently, as I often do, being a millennial who loved through its inception through modern maturity. I had a few thoughts that I found interesting.

1. Forums remain one of the few places online where it is socially acceptable to not use your real name.

2. It’s also perfectly ok to load up a picture of your favorite movie character as your avatar and leave it indefinitely. On Facebook that better be part of some social trend that lasts a few days, but after that you need to change it back to your real photo.

3. Forums remain one of the more archivable and searchable forms of online media. Want to find some conversation you had with a friend 5 years ago on Facebook? Good luck.

4. Forums have traditionally been a place to meet and get to know strangers. Hey happens more and more on modern social media too; especially Facebook groups, but most people use social media to either connect with friends or connect with fans.

That’s it. I don’t really have a point to this post. Just that I prefer the more fun/surreal feeling of forums to social media. Forums are kind of the escape from social media for me. It’s an entirely different crowd and that’s what the experience is all about.

dDave

V.I.P.
There are a couple people I know simply because of Facebook groups. Kinda cool to have friends out there even if we’ve never met in person. I am very comfortable with this, likely because of the time I’ve spent on these forums. Made some good friendships and got to know a lot of people around these forums.

I guess I missed the memo on not using your real name. I go by David in real life and by dDave or just “Dave” around the forums.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I have loved forums for as long as I have been roaming the net. reHorror, PlanetRap, OnyxDomain... just to name a few. I even had my own forum for a bit. GF/PM has outlasted them all. The mid-2000s were a great time for it. It was definitely a little sad when they began to die off in popularity.

I've also been a part of MySpace, Facebook and Twitter. I enjoy them less, but I can't say that I'm not addicted to some of them. Twitter eats up soooooo much of my time. Haha.

dDave

V.I.P.
I have loved forums for as long as I have been roaming the net. reHorror, PlanetRap, OnyxDomain... just to name a few. I even had my own forum for a bit. GF/PM has outlasted them all. The mid-2000s were a great time for it. It was definitely a little sad when they began to die off in popularity.

I've also been a part of MySpace, Facebook and Twitter. I enjoy them less, but I can't say that I'm not addicted to some of them. Twitter eats up soooooo much of my time. Haha.
I think social media is not as fun as forums either. Probably the one social media that I thought was fun in comparison to forums was Xanga. That place just had a really unique feel to it and felt more like a forum that you were on with your friends. Too bad it's basically dead and nobody uses it. I use facebook but mostly for communication purposes and to keep up with people I am not super close to.

Facebook, myspace, and twitter are ok but they're not the same. I'd say there's a lot more negativity on social media than on forums. People that get on forums tend to be there to relax and have some fun in my observation.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd say there's a lot more negativity on social media than on forums. People that get on forums tend to be there to relax and have some fun in my observation.
Have you literally not spent much time in our politics forums? Honestly, not where I like to go for my R&R. 😂

dDave

V.I.P.
Have you literally not spent much time in our politics forums? Honestly, not where I like to go for my R&R. 😂
I like a good political debate every now and then. Since coming back to the site I haven't really been getting into any divisive politics, though I probably will eventually get back into that. The key is that on the forums I can choose to seek that out, on social media it's a fair bit of all the content I see on my news feed.

Konshentz

Konshentz
That place is a nightmare. Haha. I think I've been in there a handful of times in 11 years. And that was too much.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
I'm grateful that online forums are still around. It's therapy for me to make comments and start threads on forums, especially now since I'm often stuck at home because of the virus.

I think I will always like forums, and I hope they never go away.

I'm not so sure that Facebook and Twitter are for me.