• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tracy NL, Scioscia AL, Managers of the year

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
No surprises here in the slightest way. What a great job Tracy did in Colorado this season and Scoscia is always one of the better managers in baseball...Stories below...

Also, appears Colorado extended Tracy's contract for three more seasons. Nice little reward for him.

Jim Tracy was named the NL Manager of the Year in a landslide, earning 29 of 32 first-place votes.

Not bad for a guy who wasn't even a manager at the beginning of the season. Tracy took the helm in May after Clint Hurdle was fired and guided Colorado to a 74-42 record and the National League Wild Card in one of the most rapid turnarounds in major league history. Along with the playoff berth, the Rockies established a new club record with a 92-70 record. Tracy becomes the first Rockies manager to win the award since Don Baylor in 1995. Tony LaRussa (2) and Joe Torre (1) were the only other two managers to receive first-place votes.
Mike Scioscia was elected the AL Manager of the Year, after receiving 15 of 28 first-place votes.

Scioscia led the Angels to their third straight division title, their fifth in the past six seasons, despite a rash of injuries and the tragic death of pitcher Nick Adenhart in early April. Though the Angels fell to the Yankees in the ALCS, Scioscia is the first manager to lead his team to the playoffs six times in his first 10 years as manager. This is Scioscia's second recognition as AL Manager of the Year, as he also took home the award when the Angels won the World Series in 2002. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire came in a close second, earning six first place votes, while Joe Girardi, Don Wakamatsu, Ron Washington and Jim Leyland rounded out the AL ballot.
Here's the extension story...

Rockies agreed to terms with manager Jim Tracy on a three-year contract extension.

The news, which has been expected for weeks, comes on the heels of Tracy being named the National League Manager of the Year on Wednesday. Tracy, 53, led the Rockies to a 74-42 record and the National League Wild Card after taking over for Clint Hurdle in May. In addition to the extension, Tracy's entire staff will return for 2010.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tracy did a lot of great things with the Rockies this season, not surprised in the slightest that he won the award. No one expected them to make the playoffs.

Scioscia deserved the award as well, in my opinion he's the best manager in the Major Leagues, and has been for the last five years or so.

If he coaches for another fifteen years or so, he might go down as one of the best managers of all time. He's that good in my mind.