Tracking human habits.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by fleinn, Jun 5, 2008.

1. fleinn

fleinn 101010

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Mobile phones expose human habits
    ...oh, goodie. :rolleyes: Hundreds - of entirely new ideas about market analysis, behavioural science and security enhancements. From research taken off data provided by mobile operators, without the user's consent. Due to that the information is not, in the end, personal or private. Really, really promising use of tech, isn't it..

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I read this story this morning. I can't honestly see how this can be legal. They have to have told the users at some point right? Then I'm assuming they wanted to get patterns of when people talked. Well probably any of us can answer that, while driving, while out, and while at home - DUH

3. Zachary

Zachary ,,l,, //_- ,,l,,

considering a growing majority of cell phone users are teens-early 30's theres no doubt that most of thier subjects constantly visit the same place. (work school etc.)

4. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Right. ..No, I heard about talk from some project chief that this was "finally a way to study human behaviour objectively", and they hoped more mobile operators would follow this one's example (I don't know who they're talking about, apart from that it's an american operator... the name apparently wasn't made official, and the article I read suggested that no one of the people involved knew they were being used this way).

Anyway - but I mean.. I don't have my cell- phone with me all day. Nor is it turned on all the time. ..so much for objective. But this could of course give people data on where people walk by in a city, and where the most walked past places in a mall is - hence more effective bill- boards.

And I know this wouldn't be legal in Norway, for example, without the consent of every individual involved - neither is it possible for a mobile operator to smuggle in a clause in their rules that allow for something like this. It's possible to use active programs that use cell- data and store it (for example on your phone, for your user, or transmit positions to other people) - but not to sweep up data like this from a mobile operator. That's confidential (it's the same in the US - the telecoms are supposed to protect that data according to the Telecommunications act, on the pain of losing their commission, apparently).

..But it's strange how this "mobile phone fitted with marketing analysis software" turns up again now. I heard about this idea before when Android turned up - that this was what they were going to do to finance it - sell patterns like this to number- crunchers for marketing purposes.

5. CycloneTellos

CycloneTellos Registered Member

It could be legal if the cell phone companies told the customer about it so they probably did;always read the fine print lol.

6. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Hehe. And you suddenly realise why the operator can deliver so cheap prices..

No, actually that's the point - the companies are legally precluded from entering into a deal like that, without breaking the framework that allows them to operate. People would probably have standing to sue.