• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Town Bans Texting While Walking

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
ABC News......Avid texters beware: Fort Lee, N.J. police said they will begin issuing $85 jaywalking tickets to pedestrians who are caught texting while walking. "It's a big distraction. Pedestrians aren't watching where they are going and they are not aware," said Thomas Ripoli, chief of the Fort Lee Police Department.

Texting While Walking Banned in New Jersey Town

This may be a good idea. They have banned texting while walking. I've had people about walk into me because they were busy texting. So it is feasible they could walk out in front of a car, knock down a child or elderly person and hurt them. I think as a pedestrian in a busy town, you have to be alert while walking down those sidewalks or crossing the street. What do you think about this?

BigBob

Registered Member
I think it's stupid, but of course there are people who can't do two things at once so I see why they're doing it. If you can't text and be aware of your surroundings then I don't know what to tell you.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I find this hilarious, because I personally can't text and walk. I always stop walking to send a text and my friends love to make fun of me for it. I thinking fining people is a bit extreme though. Some people can, some people can't. I personally can't text and walk but others seem to be good at it.

ianstarboarder

Registered Member
I think things like this may be giving police too much power. How can you prove whether you were walking or merely standing? What is to stop a cop from approaching someone walking down the street who happens to be holding a cell and decides you are suspicious? It allows police to approach people just for walking is what i am getting at. $85 is alot of money for many people. More than a days work for anyone who makes less than $10 an hour. I think cops need to concentrate on crime, not handing out tickets.
I agree, in a city, walking without looking is pretty rude. But a police matter. If cops become the manners police they are going to become extremely busy. What's next, tickets for chewing with your mouth open? A fine for talking during a movie...that actually would be kinda awesome. I will conclude by saying drivers should always be aware of pedestrian activity, they have the right of way. Because next thing you know there will be satellite surveillance for running with scissors and officers stationed at pools to give tickets for running...it's a slippery slope and you don't want to get fined for walking in unapproved shoes.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I can't really text and walk. I'll end up making tons of typos if I draw my attention away from the message I'm typing. I can't say it's worth being illegal, but there have been numerous occasions where I've almost been hit by people who text and walk.

It's like you expect to drive in a straight line while you're driving down a road, but if you just take a second to look from something in the glove compartment, you can easily be veering into the next lane over. You'd think keeping a straight line while walking is easy, but when people are preoccupied with texting, they just... don't. haha

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think chewing with your mouth open or talking in a movie will get someone hurt or killed. I also think pedestrians should bear some of the brunt for having to be aware of their surroundings. Maybe your trying to keep an eye on a child on one side of the street playing and here comes this texter with their head up their butt and they walk right out in front of you.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I can't speak for the man force of NJ in comparison to the UK but what I would love to know is how exactly are they going to police this? Any how demoralising will it be to those doing it:

Cheif Inspecter "today with Reeves and Johnson on drugs watch, Killington and Drake you are on speeding tickets, Jacobs and Davidson you are to watch out for people walking and texting, go to work."

Jacobs and Davidson: "with all due respect? Are you having a laugh?"

I guess if this is implemented into the course of daily duties then fair enough but how long before we stop other things? How long it is before we stop people walking their dogs because people are concentrating on watching the dog? Or what about drinking, I mean that is dangerous I will grant you, that split second your eye is not looking forward because you are concentrating on your bottle and potentially tipping your head back? Talk about living on the edge...

dobzy

Registered Member
I don't have a major problem with this law, but agree with ianstarboarder completely that some cops will unfortunately take advantage of some people with this law. Of course, bad cops can take advantage of people with nearly any law.

I find with small towns you get stopped more often because the cops are simply bored. For example, I once was questioned for "suspicious activity" for dropping off my books in the book drop outside my local library after hours. My old town where this happened has a population of less than 2k though (thousands more in the Summer), compared to Fort Lee's 35k.

Fort Lee isn't known for being the best with their police force... they forgot they arrested some high schoolers & left them in the police van for half a day last winter. I think quite a few officers were suspended.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure there will be some cops that take advantage of this law just to harass someone but they don't need this law to do it. I'm sure they could find other laws on the books to do that with if they even need that. I also don't think they will be writing out too many tickets for this. I doubt if a cop is sitting around just waiting for someone to text while walking. However if someone walks out in front of someone while texting, then because they were breaking the law, the driver of the vehicle will not have to take all the blame.

I can see where someone would be leery of new laws, lord knows we have had some bad ones shoved down our throats in the past decade.

Getting any kind of ticket can be embarrassing but should we stop giving them just so we don't embarrass someone.

Falconer

Registered Member
I do think there's potential for abuse here, but having said that, I can't text and walk either. I think it would be fair enough to make it a social issue, though then you do get into shaming people for pretty innocent things, but definitely not a criminal problem. That's going too far.