Tower of Babel: Literal or not?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Shikimi_Farkash, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Shikimi_Farkash

Shikimi_Farkash Registered Member

was there literally a tower of babel or is it just a story meant to teach a lesson? i think it's just meant to teach a lesson, but i'm still curious. what does everyone else think?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's made up, like most stories in the bible.

It's an awesome setting for writing though.

3. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Yeah i think its a metaphor or at least some sort of misconception, like most stories from the past turn out to be.

4. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

A spontaneous scattering of people throughout the world would have been revealed through historical research, but has not been. Rather, different areas of the globe were settled at different times, and the languages they spoke evolved naturally from those of their ancestors. Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond is a very readable book that deals with such things, amongst others, and gives a wonderful overview of how the many different societies we see around the world likely came to be how they are, particularly with regards to their differences in terms of technological advancement.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

That's so strange you mention that book because I saw it last night at Borders and almost picked it up. Worth the read then, eh?

6. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I picked it up on a whim and enjoyed it, particularly its overview of the history of agriculture, which really puts a lot of things in perspective.

7. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- It's literal, just like the worldwide flood of Noah and the ark.

8. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I think it's irrelevant whether it's literal or not. What's important is what you learn from it. Just like all the other incidents mentioned in the bible.

Mihael_langley likes this.
  9. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

The tower of Babel is probably the ziggurat of Babylon. Temples build up into the sky to bring the priests nearer to the gods / to heaven. They could become fairly high in size, but not anywhere near 'heaven', but for someone from a rural area these ziggurats must have been really impressing (God knows what they might have thought about the Burj Dubai).

[​IMG]

It was the biggest city of the world in the 2nd millenium bc.
    The name stems from the Accadian word 'Bâb-ilu' or 'Bâb-ilim' (Gate of God/Gods). The hebrew word 'Babel' refers to 'balal', which means 'to confuse'. I think that's how the story came to be. Perhaps with the additional note that as the 'center' of the world, many different people must have come to visit it to buy and sell their merchandise.

10. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- I think it's "literalness" is very relevant, because if the tower of Babel was not actually built then the Bible cannot possibly be considered God's Word... in which case nothing in the Bible, even Jesus' resurrection, can be considered trustworthy.