• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tourists denied entry to US over Twitter jokes

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Two tourists claim they were denied entry to the US after joking on Twitter that they were going to "destroy America" and "dig up Marilyn Monroe".

Read more: Tourists denied entry to US over Twitter jokes
Do you think this was an overreaction to a couple of twitter jokes? I think it may have been. I mean sure, what they said was tasteless and they seem like idiots, but they are just young people quoting American TV shows and just generally speaking like party-goers do. I could understand if they were pulled up and questioned about the tweets, but to then not allow them into the country at all seems a bit drastic to me.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this one. It's lame that it happened, but they do warn people not to post stuff like that so publicly. I think overall I think it was an overreaction by the DHS. I can understand detaining and questioning him, but based on the info we were given (which admittedly wasn't much), I didn't see any reason to send him back.

My question is who the heck reported him?

Dekzper

Registered Member
Both comments sound totally legit. :stare: Tear it up, destroy the club... just means have a totally epic party. Dig up Marilyn Monroe? Hot party with hot girls. I think everybody knows that.

They said something about a 2nd interview. They musta said something really suspicious or did something weird cause I don't believe it was just those 2 comments that got them sent back. Police are around schools and clubs too much not to know what those mean.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
We can monitor twitter and have people on staff to do crap like this, but we can't secure the border.

Ridiculous.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sounds like to me they overreacted to a stupid comment. I wonder how tourism is anymore and are we tuning into the place to be avoided. Several years ago, before 9/11, I was in Yellowstone and it was flooded with foreigners, I wonder if its still like that.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Caution on Twitter urged

Source: BBC News

Caution on Twitter urged as tourists barred from US

Holidaymakers have been warned to watch their words after two friends were refused entry to the US on security grounds after a tweet.

Before his trip, Leigh Van Bryan wrote that he was going to "destroy America".

He insisted he was referring to simply having a good time - but was sent home.

Trade association Abta told the BBC that the case highlighted that holidaymakers should never do anything to raise "concern or suspicion in any way".
Now I know that these people made a very foolish mistake, given the state of emergency that is constantly going on in the world especially the US it is daft to post something like this but do you think they should be banned? Is this a stupid joke that went wrong? Have the US Homeland Security got every right to do this or are we living in a world where if you do something like this you should expect to taken seriously and potentially face the risk of being treated as a terrorist?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
@SS I was thinking the same thing:lol:

That said, people need to be smarter about Twitter, Facebook, etc. People say the dumbest things on there and don't expect any repercussions. If this had been a serious threat and the administration ignored it, they'd catch all kinds of hell for it.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I think America did the right thing by not allowing them to enter USA due to the said comments because it's a national security threat when someone, jokingly or not says that they will destroy it.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I've gone through a "second interview" with Homeland security. I swear I got paranoid and thought of all my liberal posts on GF. :rofl:

In the end they let me go. It was more they were suspicious I travelled a lot in the US for a short period of time, but I answered all their questions. Their posts may be jokes but we don't know how they conducted themselves during the interview. CO is right, if something happened and info like this leaked, they'd be blamed for not acting on it. Although it does seem a bit an overreaction. It seems something else got flagged that we don't know.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I don't understand sending them back as much. I get how they were detained at the airport, but they should be able to tell that the pair weren't a threat.

They were just a couple of people who wanted to contribute heavily to the american economy. Don't send them back!