Tougher Penalties for Player Celebrations

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by BigBob, Feb 11, 2009.

1. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

NCAA football rules committee floats harsher penalties for player celebrations - ESPN

Ridiculous? I think so.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Why is it ridiculous? I think it makes sense to take the touchdown off the board for celebration penalties. A lot of times a team is winning by so much, or they get a touchdown near the end of the game that would seal the victory, and they sacrifice the 15 yards on the kickoff since it doesn't even matter at that point.

3. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

It's ridiculous because it's dumb, no better than the NFL and last I checked a celebration doesn't kill anybody. Just like with the NFL they're grown ass men and if they can't have any fun or show their excitement of scoring then why play the sport?

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

That's absolutely ridiculous. This is not little league and the big boys shouldn't be crying about poor sportsmanship just because someone is celebrating their score, or celebrating when they're about to score.

5. Major

Players are allowed to celebrate with their teammates. What they can't do is spike the football, make gestures, dance, pose, or anything that shows up the other team or brings unnecessary attention to themselves. It's a team game. I don't want to see players like T.O. and Ocho Cinco in college looking for attention.

6. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Why would it be ridiculous? Why is it right to take away a touchdown because of a celebration. It's kids/young adults having fun.

Last year when (I believe it was Washington, not positive) a quarterback tossed the ball into the air because he scored a last second touchdown which the extra point would've tied it and got a 15 yard penalty. The kicker just missed the extra point. That caused a team to lose because instead of what, 12 yards away he had to kick it from 27 yards. Ridiculous.

7. Major

I remember that game. It was Washington against BYU and Jake Locker threw the ball into the air out of excitement. It was a terrible call. I'm fine with celebrations done from emotion like that. What I can't stand are the ones that are scripted and only done for attention. What's wrong with just handing the ball to the official and high-fiving your teammates?

8. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

So?

Is spiking the football, dancing or posing harmful or dangerous in any way? I don't see what good can from this and if someone claims it's harmful to their self-esteem then they need to pack their shit or grow some balls.

9. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Agreed.

Besides, they would probably be put down in the media enough without them having to make rules or take away touch downs because of "excessive celebration." If they want to do it, then let them.

10. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Are they serious about taking touchdowns off the board? So they really don't want any fun in sport eh?

Sweet. No fun in sports. Great.