• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tottenham and Arsenal ban vuvuzelas

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal of Premier League ban vuvuzelas from stadium - ESPN

LONDON -- Tottenham has become the first English Premier League club to ban vuvuzelas from its stadium.

And Arsenal followed its north London rival on Tuesday to ban the South African trumpets, which were a constant feature at the World Cup -- frequently drowning out stadium announcements and television commentary.

"Following discussions with the police and representatives from the local licensing authorities, the club will not be permitting vuvuzelas or similar instruments into White Hart Lane on match days," Tottenham said. "We are concerned that the presence of the instruments within the stadium pose unnecessary risks to public safety."

The Premier League has not ruled on the use of the vuvuzela and its distinctive drone, leaving the decision to individual clubs.
I think this is kind of funny. How do they pose risks to public safety? Were there problems with safety at the World Cup?

BigBob

Registered Member
They are probably trying to say it'll cause people to go deaf, lol. This is stupid. I had no problem with them during the cups and think it's just part of the culture. Leave them alone!

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Riots after matches in which they attack other people with them?

Well done to those two clubs, i hope i don't see a vuvuzelas at the friendly in the Galpharm tomorrow.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is so stupid, players probably just complained about the noise so they decided to banned them to make the high priced players happy.

Just doesn't make sense to me. I know they're allowed to banned anything they want, but like come on!!!

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That is hysterical. Risk to health. Wut? Personally I never had issues with hearing the announcements and commentary when watching it on TV and even in the stadiums, I could hear the whistle blow when someone was blowing a vuvuzela right behind me. It's extremely exaggerated, imo.

I see your point. Good thing the English clubs banned them then, 'ey? We here in SA don't get violent after or during games though. We are lovers, not fighters. But I know from first hand experience that violence is a problem at English games, so yeah, all the power to them.

All that said though, the same way I was defending them to stay in SA, I stand by my point of it's up to the country. They are South African and as such no other country had the right to say we should ban them during the WC. If your (general) country wishes to ban them - please do! I won't loose sleep over that! ;)

Bananas

Endangered Species
That is the reason given by West Ham, they have classed it as a weapon.

CuriousGirlSA; said:
We here in SA don't get violent after or during games though.
What rubbish.

The Africa women cup final in 2000 was cancelled because of the violence. Then there were the Ellis park riots where 40 people died, and the Orkney stadium riots where a similar number were killed.

[QUOTECuriousGirlSA;]We are lovers, not fighters[/QUOTE]

You are talking about South Africa...right?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
That is the reason given by West Ham, they have classed it as a weapon.
West Ham. "This is Idi's complete lack of surprise!" :stare:

What rubbish.

The Africa women cup final in 2000 was cancelled because of the violence. Then there were the Ellis park riots where 40 people died, and the Orkney stadium riots where a similar number were killed.
I was referencing to the past WC, during which vuvuzela's were a main feature specifically, but I would be happy to go there with you if you wish to create a new thread titled "Football and Politics in South Africa!" ;)

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
I think this is kind of funny. How do they pose risks to public safety? Were there problems with safety at the World Cup?
I don't think they pose a safety threat either, although I think that was an excuse released to the press. In reality the vuvuzelas are annoying to the ear and the head. On television it may not seem loud but go in a stadium jam packed with many people sounding a loud and easily played hor, where the acoustics make the sound even louder, it most probably distracts the players from their concentration.

That's surely the same reason they don't play music on the intercom during basketball games unless it's a stoppage of play.

Good call Arsenal and Tottenham. Many more will follow.

BigBob

Registered Member
Off-topic here, but they do play music during the actual gameplay in the NBA.
I don't think it was that off topic.

Agreed though, the only two sports I can think of in America that don't play music during game play, and if they do it's very rare, is Football and Hockey. Even then, you have people with air horns, cow bells, etc.

People think air horns and cow bells should be banned also in America, I'm sure they'll find something that makes them a health hazard.