Torre turns down offer from Yankees

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Joe Torre rejected a $5 million, one-year contract to return as manager of the New York Yankees on Thursday.

Torre, who had held the job since 1995, made an unannounced trip from New York to the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., accompanied by general manager Brian Cashman and chief operating officer Lonn Trost. Yankees president Randy Levine said Torre turned down the offer during the meeting, which lasted about one hour.

"It is now time for the New York Yankees to move forward," Levine said.

Torre made $7.5 million this year, the final season of a $19.2 million, three-year contract. His new deal would have included substantial bonuses for each round of the playoffs the team reached.

"We felt we needed to go to a performance-based mode," Levine said. "We thought it was very fair. It clearly was at the top of the market, but we respect Joe's decision."

Bench coach Don Mattingly is the leading contender to replace Torre. Yankees broadcaster Joe Girardi, the NL Manager of the Year with Florida in 2006, is another top contender.

Cashman said there will be a full search for a replacement. Just 10 days ago, the Yankees were bounced out of the first round of the playoffs for the third straight year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7349692

2. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

I can't blame him for not wanting to deal with the same headaches again in 12 months, and as a Sox fan I'm delighted the Yankees refused to offer him a multi-year deal.

3. Slimpy

Slimpy Guest

Its sad to see an era come to in end, especially with all the sucess Torrie has had. But I think the yankee's will be better of moving on with a new manager.

4. SHOELESSJOE3

SHOELESSJOE3 Registered Member

Not a bad move by George S. Wonder if that was his strategy, put Torre in a situation where he would play a part in his release. By offfering Joe the cut in pay if Joe refused then in ''some" minds George would not look like the real bad guy............I gave him a choice. I am suresome will still dislike George but he never cut Torre, made him an offer, which I for one would never think Joe would accept.

5. Slimpy

Slimpy Guest

I think you could be right there. Like the guy did say that torrie would not be coming back if they didn't win the alds, they lost and he still offered him a contrack.

6. Babe_Ruth

I am really disapointed to see Torre see go, he has done a good job as the skipper of the New York Yankees, he will be miss, his players respected him, and I believe that some players will sign with other teams because of his departure.

7. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

Offering a manager who's been as successful as Torre a performance-based contract, and requiring that he make the World Series to get his option picked up is a slap in the face. I think just offering him a $5 million deal would have been less insulting than offering bonuses for advancing in the playoffs.

8. Babe_Ruth

I totally agree with you, I know he hasn't led this team to the World Series for awhile now, and he didn't win the Pennant this year, but he still led them to the playoffs, and he has a proven record. But like Shoeless said this was probably part of George's plan, he offered him a contract, now the fans don't have to be mad at him all that much.

9. The_Kid

The_Kid Sexy Beast

I completely agree.

10. Slimpy

Slimpy Guest

Very true. Especially since the yankees have made the playoffs in all 12 years that he has been their manager and won the world series 4 times.