• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Toronto Blue Jays 2016 season thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The season starts on Sunday when Marcus Stroman takes the mound to face off against the Rays and Archer. The Blus Jays have real high expectations this season after a playoff run in 2015.

The Blue Jays have arguably the best offence in Baseball, they have the reigning MVP, Josh Donaldson, the Smash Brothers, Bautista and Encarnacion, they have Tulowitzki, who is arguably top 10 player in the MLB when healthy a full season. They also have players like Martin, Pillar who can do some damage. Then add platoon players like Colabello and Smoak and you have one scary line-up.

The starting rotation is definitely the biggest question mark with – Stroman, Estrada, Dickey, Sanchez, Happ. Stroman is out to prove that he can be an ace in this league, Estrada had a great year last season, Dickey is average, but he’s good for 200 innings, Happ had a real strong second half, and Sanchez has a massive chip on his shoulder and had a tremendous spring. The bullpen is another strong point on this team with Osuna closing games, Storen being the set-up man, Cecil the 7th inning guy, and you have guys like Chavez and Floyd who can throw multiple innings.

I’m really excited for this season, more than usual. Jays should be a very exciting team to watch and put a lot of runs on the board.

Use this thread to discuss the upcoming Blue Jays season.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
A little bummed I won't be able to watch the season opener on Sunday afternoon (Wrestlemania over everything, baby!) but attending Friday night's game at the Big O with pretty much the similar opening day lineup will make up for it big time.

I'm just hoping that J.A. Happ will be consistent and be dynamite like he was in the second half last year. If that rotation clicks all cylinders, it's gonna be an even more monstrous year. Also curious to see how well will Michael Saunders fare this year.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I’ll be at the game on Saturday, which I’m excited about, and I’ll be in time to watch the opener then switch to Wrestlemania.

If they can have Happ pitch at home for most of the season then he should have pretty good success this upcoming season. His numbers at the Skydome are fairly good.

I can’t believe I forgot to mention Saunders in the OP. He’s had a real good spring. He’s shown a lot of power. He has a chip on his shoulder this season because he knows the Blue Jays brass tried to trade him. If he can remain healthy, I do believe he’ll have a good year.

TheAngrySportsGuy

Registered Member
I’ll be at the game on Saturday, which I’m excited about, and I’ll be in time to watch the opener then switch to Wrestlemania.

If they can have Happ pitch at home for most of the season then he should have pretty good success this upcoming season. His numbers at the Skydome are fairly good.

I can’t believe I forgot to mention Saunders in the OP. He’s had a real good spring. He’s shown a lot of power. He has a chip on his shoulder this season because he knows the Blue Jays brass tried to trade him. If he can remain healthy, I do believe he’ll have a good year.
Haha! Funny, the first thing I thought when reading the OP was, "What, no mention of Saunders?" I truly believe this guy is going to hit 20+ HRs with an OBP of .330+. I'd like to see him in the leadoff spot and Pillar hitting ninth with Goins 8th (separate the lefties). But Gibby wont answer my calls.

I'm REALLY worried about the starting rotation though. Stroman is great, but what's his innings limit? We already know Sanchez is on one. Estrada threw way more innings last year than he's ever thrown, he loses his personal catcher and he's already hurt. The big FA signing was a guy that could barely crack a starting rotation for most of his career. And Dickey, who is probably good for 200 innings of average-good performance. Scares the crap out of me. Glad there is a little depth at least. I do think, contracts aside Hutch should be in the rotation. Probably the only guy other than Dickey you'd be able to count on for 200 innings, if he didn't suck like last year.

Anyway, should be a fun year! Interested to see how it all plays out!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Good first win for the Blue Jays last night. They had their hands full with Archer who struck out a total of 12 batters, but Stroman was even better, striking out five and inducing 14 ground outs. He showed that he can be an ace last night. Unfortunately, he had a rough ninth inning and couldn’t complete what he started.

Tulowitzki hit a key two-run home run in the eighth inning, which ended up being the game winner.

TheRealVJ

Registered Member
Tulo looked great in his full season debut with the Jays. Whether it's defensively or offensively, he just looks really comfortable out there. What I found interesting was that his batting stance looked different from the one he displayed at ST. The leg kick wasn't as apparent yesterday, and he seemed to be more upright. Just one game in I understand, but its still interesting.

I will say I really enjoy Shapiro and the gang making roster moves on Opening Day, which shows me there always committed to improving. Franklin Morales is a great addition to this club, and he's almost like a left-handed Jesse Chavez. He can go multiple innings, and potentially even start a game if need be. Very good against lefties, so he will be useful for the time being.

Also, it's going to be interesting to see Marcus Stroman for an entire season in terms of his antics on the mound. We saw him and Logan Morrison get tangled, so I wonder if this may be a thing more often now considering he's definitely animated on the diamond.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tulo’s transition from his glove to his hand is so smooth and a thing of beauty. Makes it look so easy out there. If healthy, it will be really fun to watch him. I’ve been saying this for months, but I expect big things from him in 2016.

Good point about Stroman and his emotions he displays out there. I have no problem with them, like Harper said a few weeks ago, Baseball needs more emotion like the ones that were displayed yesterday by Stroman. But, I think a lot of players on the opposite dugout will take exception to it like Logan Morrison did.

TheRealVJ

Registered Member
Marcus Stroman isn't going to be Yordano Ventura, who had his share of bogus antics last season, but an outsider looking in at the Bluejays will find a comparison between those 2. As a Jays fan, it's easy to side with Stroman because we all know who he is, and we know the motto he lives by and the codes he follow. His emotion and passion on the mound, to us, is something special and worth applauding. But as an outsider, I can completely understand being ticked off by it.

As for more emotion, I fairly agree with that fact that there needs to be more emotion in the game. BUT, only under the right circumstances. If it takes place in the heat of the moment, say a strikeout with the bases-loaded, it's totally acceptable and I'd appreciate it because it changes the tide of the game. But if it's in the 3rd-inning with 1-out and a 5-0 lead in your favour, I wouldn't be a fan of that. As long as the emotion is displayed in a fair demeanour, I can live with it

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There’s a massive difference between Ventura and Stroman, that’s definitely for sure. Ventura always seemed to stare down at opposing players when he got really emotional – Stroman usually keeps to himself, screams in his glove and whatnot.

I agree, VJ, but I think the players, for the most part, know when to showcase their emotions. And, I think what Bryce really meant is that players need to stop acting like robots out there and enjoy the game more – it’s a kids game after all.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, last night ending to the game was a bad one. I still can’t believe the umpire called Bautista for that slide. I know, I know, they have new rules now, but Bautista barely touched him. And, it’s a stupid rule in the first place. Who knows if the Jays would have maintained the lead, but in my opinion the game shouldn’t have ended there.