Torii Hunter An Angel

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Jonnymovgamer, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Jonnymovgamer

Jonnymovgamer Registered Member

2. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member

Damn, didn't see that coming.

3. Jonnymovgamer

Jonnymovgamer Registered Member

Neither did I. I was reading articles up to yesterday saying the White Sox were the leading candidate to land Hunter, followed by the Texas Rangers.

4. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

Way too much money, and for way too long. Hunter won't be an $18 million player in 3 years, let alone 5.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Good pick up for the Angels they will finally have someone that can bat after Guerrero, he's also one of the best center fielders in the league, with his addition they will have one of the best outfields in the league. I think he'll earn his money.

6. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

See, I think Hunter is essentially the same as Johnny Damon was three years ago. Hunter's a year older than Damon was when he signed with the Yankees, which puts him firmly in the downward side of his career. I'd be shocked to see him either hit .300 or 30 hrs for the Angels, and his defense is likewise only going to get worse as he gets older and slower. Over the past three years, Damon has gone from being a Gold Glove-caliber center fielder, and now is admitting he can't play the position every day. It may not be that severe of a dropoff, but that's roughly what I see for Hunter over the next few years.

Bottom line is Torii Hunter won't be worth $18 million when he's 37 years old.

7. Babe_Ruth

I agree he won't be worth that much when he's that old, but I am sure that he's going to have at least 2-3 all star seasons with the Angels. He's a better power hitter then Damon, and better outfielder, and I don't see him losing a step in the outfield. Also it will help him a great deal batting after Vladimir.

8. ChrisLDuncan

ChrisLDuncan Guest

Horrible move, 80 mill for a .324 OBP. Not very smart.

9. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member

Who is going to move to left, Hunter or Matthews?

My guess would be Matthews while Hunter stays in center.

10. Babe_Ruth

Matthews will be moving to left field, Hunter is going to play at his regular position that being Center Field, and Anderson and Guerrero are going to split time in right field and the designated hitter.