Top five pitchers of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Who do you consider the top five pitchers of all time. Please rank them from number one to number five.

1) Walter Johnson
2) Pete Alexander
3) Christy Mathewson
4) Greg Maddux
5) Cy Young

How about you guys?

Unstoppable

Registered Member
1. Walter Johnson
2. Cy Young
3. Nolan Ryan
4. Christy Mathewson
5. Tom Seaver

Its really hard to rank these guys for me because I obviously watched none of them and when I think of great pitchers 20 names come to mind, its tough to narrow it down and then rank them

Wade8813

Registered Member
1. Walter Johnson
2. Greg Maddux
3. Pete Alexander
4. Pedro Martinez
5. Lefty Grove

Ask me tomorrow, and I might have a different list... :rolleyes:

Rapier

Registered Member
V.I.P.
1) Lefty Grove
2) Warren Spahn
3) Walter Johnson
4) Robin Roberts
5) Pete Alexander
6) Christy Mathewson

I don't think today's pitchers pitch enough to warrant a spot.

About Roberts. He started 5 out of 6 straight all star games. The year he "didn't" start his teammate Curt Simmons started. Curt wound up 14-8 that year. Robby had his greatest year at 28-7.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow! I never seen anyone put Robin Roberts that high before. Care to explain why you rank him so high, especially higher than Greg Maddux?

Rapier

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Wow! I never seen anyone put Robin Roberts that high before. Care to explain why you rank him so high, especially higher than Greg Maddux?

Picture Roberts playing for the NL East champ for about 12 years in a row, with 4 or 5 days rest, night games, modern medicine etc, etc. instead being a workhorse of a weak team at the peak of his career in the 50s.

If starting pitchers don't contribute as much to a team as they once did can you really justify bestowing all-time GREATNESS?

1) Lefty Grove
2) Warren Spahn
3) Walter Johnson
4) Juan Marichal
5) Pete Alexander
6) Christy Mathewson
7) Robin Roberts

The first Bill James HBA has Roberts 10th in peak value and 11th in career value for righthanders. Maybe/yes I did get carried away.

Bill James said something interesting about Juan.

"The most amazing thing about Marichal is that if you add together his 1963, '64, '66, '68 seasons his overall record is better than that of the four Cy Young award winners. His record for those four years is 97-31; their record totals was 94-32. Yet he won not a single award..."

Wade8813

Registered Member
Pitchers today don't put in as many innings, but those innings tend to be more effective. It wasn't uncommon for pitchers back in the day to only throw at 80% or so until they got into a jam, because they had to conserve their energy to throw a complete game most of the time. But now that we have bullpens, they can give it 100% more often.

Do you honestly think that today's pitchers, who like you said get "4 or 5 days rest, night games, modern medicine etc, etc." can't contribute as much as old time players? Not a single one of them? That doesn't make sense.

Rapier

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Do you honestly think that today's pitchers, who like you said get "4 or 5 days rest, night games, modern medicine etc, etc." can't contribute as much as old time players? Not a single one of them? That doesn't make sense.
That's like saying that if you took the Belmont Stakes out of the Triple Crown(no longer ran the Belmont Stakes) that winning the Derby and the Preakness was due the prestige and was the "test" of greatness that winning the Triple Crown was.

Status
Not open for further replies.