Top five home run hitters of all time?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

In your opinion who do you think are the top five home run hitters of all time and why? Please give a description for why you rank that player at that position.

You don't have to take stats into consideration, I believe just because a player didn't hit has many home runs has Hank Aaron doesn't meanthat player isn't a better home run hitter then Hank.

Thoughts?

2. I'll go with the 5 guys who had the best HR/AB ratios of all time, prior to Steroid Ball, not including Ralph Kiner because he only played 10 years:

1. Babe Ruth (no contest)
    2. Harmon Killebrew
    3. Ted Williams
    4. Dave Kingman
    5. Mickey Mantle

The pre-Steroid Ball guys who hit the most awesome HR's of my lifetime were Frank Howard, Harmon Killebrew, Dick Allen and Dave Kingman--but I'm not old enough to have seen Mantle in the 1950's, and I didn't see all that much of him in the mid-1960's, because the A's weren't in Oakland then and the Bay Area stations only showed Giants games.

3. The_Kid

The_Kid Sexy Beast

For me:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Ted Williams
    3. Mickey Mantle
    4. Willie Mays
    5. Ralph Kiner

I don't put men like Kingman and Jackson on the list because I define them, in my book, as pure sluggers, not HR hitters, just men that swung from the hills every time at the plate.

4. I think it's highly unfair to link Dick Allen with Reggie Jackson and Dave Kingman in that regard. Allen played in an offense-suppressed era, but hit for a very good average (.292 career) with a generally high on-base percentage, good doubles and triples power, etc. He had a better career OPS+ than Willie Mays, which is all one needs to know to know how badly he's been screwed by Cooperstown. Jackson and Kong aren't within 10 light years of him in OPS+, even though Kong was the best of the 3 in pure HR power--both for HR/AB ratio and for distance.

If there ever was a truly one-dimensional player, it was Kong. No doubt you're right about that. And although some would disagree, I think you're right in putting Reggie in that category, too. But not Allen. He was a great, great hitter. People get so caught up in the fact he could have been a modern Lou Gehrig, but for his progressively dismal attitude, that they lose sight of how great he was.

5. The_Kid

The_Kid Sexy Beast

You've given me enough evidence, and therefore it has been edited.

6. Sultan_1895-1948

Sultan_1895-1948 Registered Member

Jim,

I don't agree with you putting Williams at #4 on your all-time list but being widely regarded as the second greatest hitter and being mediocre on a good day in the field and bases, one could make a case I suppose. But what earns him #3 on this list, which is strictly about home run hitting. The guy never hit more than 43 in a year and he hit more than 30 only once after he had that 43 in 1949 (38). So what gives. Surely to be so high up on this list, given the low totals, he makes up for it in distance, right? Ummm..no. His 14.79 career AB/HR ratio is pretty good and of the splits they have on BBref, he's 63/40 in favor of away HR, although his doubles are skewed the other way. If a guy was that good of a HR hitter, shouldn't the park be rather irrelevant? After all, it's not like he was playing in Old Fenway. Curious to get your thoughts.

7. He's #3 on that list because, prior to Steroid Ball, he had the #4 all-time HR/AB ratio, and I don't think Ralph Kiner's truncated career should count. That makes the top 5 on the all-time HR/AB list exactly as I have reproduced it. We're talking about the greatest HR hitters ever, and I can't think of a better way to measure it than in HR/AB ratio. The fact Williams never had big HR seasons is strictly attributable to his ungodly number of walks. In terms of HR/AB ratio, he is ahead of Dave Kingman... and you KNOW how big a statement that is.