Movies Top 8 Most Emotional Movie Scenes

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Merc, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

1. I Am Legend

The Death of Sam...antha - This was easily one of the hardest scenes I've ever witnessed in a motion picture. I loved the movie but this scene is just . . . see for yourself. I have admittedly only teared up only a small handful of films/TV moments, only three on this list. I have a hard time watching this movie strictly for this part. Will Smith is Robert Neville, the lone survivor of a disastrous plague he is strangely immune to. His dog Sam is all he has left to hold on to his sanity.

YouTube - I Am Legend, Saddest Part

2. Good Will Hunting

"It's not your fault."

Skip to 2:58 in the video to start the scene.

Easily one of the greatest movies made in my opinion with a gripping story and great characters, the ending scene has become famous between Will (Matt Damon) and his shrink Sean (Robin Williams). If you haven't seen the movie, watch it now.

YouTube - Good Will Hunting - It's Not Your Fault

3. Terminator 2

"I know now why you cry, but it's something I could never do."

Who would have ever thought a scene between a robot and a human could be so moving? Especially one like the Terminator. James Cameron proved in this film something he's had trouble proving lately and that is his ability to stir powerful emotions in filmmaking.

YouTube - Terminator 2 Judgment Day - Ending Scene

4. Titanic

"I won't let go.."

I can't find a solid link to the very obvious scene I'm thinking of but needless to say, this belongs on the list. It's hard to watch and one of the more tragic endings in all of film. Jack and Rose never get a chance to truly be with one another until the very end . . Jack's end. If you didn't at least get a bit choked up, you may have a chemical imbalance.

5. Click

"I love you son."

Click has always been a confusing movie from the first time I saw it. From the ads and trailers, it looks like an entirely light-hearted and silly movie. Plus, it's got Adam Sandler, a man who has never attempted a serious movie in his lifetime and probably couldn't if he tried. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just his character. When Click, a movie about a man who uses a magic remote control to fast forward through the boring parts in his life, gets to the halfway mark the fun and humor begin to die down. Sandler's character begins to realize he has missed so much in his life and now that the remote is auto-fast forwarding events, he loses control of his life. He even misses the death of his father which is to me, one of the most painful moments in recent cinema. Which is a shame since the movie got shelved by critics so quickly.

YouTube - Click - I love you son

6. The Green Mile

John Coffey's Execution

If you've seen it, no introduction is necessary. If you haven't, don't watch because it won't mean as much without the rest of the movie to set the context.

YouTube - The Green Mile - John Coffey's Execution

7. Armageddon

Broken promises

A pretty cheesy movie yes, but the ending is crippling and Bruce Willis is astounding as usual. His conversation with Liv Tyler is gripping and painful and his last moments before destroying the asteroid are equally impacting.

YouTube - Harry's Goodbye
    YouTube - Armageddon - Goodbye Harry

8. 300

"My Queen, my wife . . . my love."

An epic battle, a tragic ending, a heroic legend. Leonidas' death in 300 was incredible and watching Queen Gorgo receive his amulet really moves you.

YouTube - 300 - Leonidas & Gorgo: death

Thoughts on my list? Anything else you would have included? Please be wary of spoilers as usual. As a bonus to the list, I'll add one more I think deserves mentioning:

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

"Severus . . . please."'

One of the most gut-wrenching deaths in recent literature, Dumbledore's death shook the foundation of the Harry Potter fan base moving readers to tears as they read. Although, I will never call this a good movie as they left out the most moving scene in the whole book . . the funeral. Nevertheless, this is a great scene and portrays some real emotion, something the rest of the movie failed miserably at. Knowing the story of Dumbledore and learning more about his dark past made his death even more crippling.

YouTube - Dumbledore's Death - HD

2. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I can't really argue too much with that list. I myself have never seen Good Will Hunting or that newer Harry Potter. But, all the other movies are good choices.

Those two to me are probably some of the best/emotional parts in the list above.

3. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I'd have to think about any other movies that could've possibly made this list. I agree with pretty much all of them, and I'd say I Am Legend is easily number one in my book, The Green Mile would probably be second.

Good list.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Pretty good list, I haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies though. I would have to include Field of Dreams when he plays catch with his dad and Old Yeller in the end. There are several parts of Dad that I would include also.

5. Merc

I haven't seen Field of Dreams but I hear good things. I also wanted to add Monsters Inc to the list just for the ending scene but I decided it wasn't powerful enough. Still quite gripping though.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Monsters Inc would have been a good one too, I had forgotten about that one. That is a good ending scene.

7. kcdad

kcdad Registered Member

"want to have a catch, dad?"

EVERY time. I start tearing up just anticipating it.

Babe_Ruth likes this.
  8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Good list, I was really emotional for the scene you post for I am Legend.

Here's a few others:

We are Marshall:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs4BrelfkGo

That seen is extremely sad.

Rudy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7ZpLgkVxA&feature=related

If you watched the movie, you'll know why.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  9. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

10. Merc

Thanks Scissors, I can cross that one off the list now that you've spoiled it.