• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Top 5 Shooting Guards

Joshua Howe

We did a Top 3 of all time. How about a Top 5 for shooting guards? This has to be my favourite position on the floor.

Love the way all of these guys play.

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dwyane Wade
4. George Gervin
5. Clyde Drexler

What's yours?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
1. Michael Jordan (No explanation needed)

2. Kobe Bryant (The closest thing to Jordan as he can score from anywhere on the floor and is a proven winner and legend)

3. Jerry West (He's the logo for a reason as he is your prototypical guard a great shooter who can pass and is great leader.

4. Dwayne Wade (A driving force for years and is one of the only people to claim a championship by pretty much himself. In 2006 he had one of the greatest postseason runs of all time)

5. Allen Iverson (The best scoring little man the league will ever see who could carry his team night in and out. I believe if Iverson was 6'6 he could be a top 10 player of all time).

knickstape2107

Registered Member
I'd say MJ, Kobe, West, AI, then Reggie Miller. Wade would be 6. I think in a year he will be top 5.

Joshua Howe

DF:

Jerry West at three? I think that's very generous. I get that he's the Logo. But, for starters, one championship and you have him over Wade? A current three-time NBA champion? Wade also carried the 2006 Heat in The Finals (Yes, Shaq was there but they were still down 2-0 until Wade said, "Screw this") while West had an array of HOFs on his teams and STILL only won a single title. Some of those players? Wilt, Baylor, Goodrich, etc.

Wade's career is not over yet either, and I still see him better than West. Also, Wade is a true two-guard, whereas West played the point often.

I'm more willing to let you go with The Answer as a shooting guard because he really, really, truly was. He also played the PG spot, but I'll let that pass. But better than The Iceman or Drexler? Mmm. Give me some reasons for why, bro.

Knicks Dude:

All of your picks are fine (same goes for you having West at number three though) until you get to Reggie Miller.

First of all, not having D-Wade on your list is an insult to him. Wade is a Top 3 shooting guard. I can defend that easily and he should be ahead of West, A.I. and *cough* Miller on your list.

However, the only person I dislike seeing on your list is Miller. Why? I don't think he's Top 5. Top 10? Sure. But not Top 5. He was one of the greatest shooters of all time for sure, but shooting guards? You need to do more than shoot to be a great shooting guard.

He never won an NBA title. That is a huge reason of way he is not Top 5.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Joshua Howe said:
DF:

Jerry West at three? I think that's very generous. I get that he's the Logo. But, for starters, one championship and you have him over Wade? A current three-time NBA champion? Wade also carried the 2006 Heat in The Finals (Yes, Shaq was there but they were still down 2-0 until Wade said, "Screw this") while West had an array of HOFs on his teams and STILL only won a single title. Some of those players? Wilt, Baylor, Goodrich, etc.

Wade's career is not over yet either, and I still see him better than West. Also, Wade is a true two-guard, whereas West played the point often.

I'm more willing to let you go with The Answer as a shooting guard because he really, really, truly was. He also played the PG spot, but I'll let that pass. But better than The Iceman or Drexler? Mmm. Give me some reasons for why, bro.

Knicks Dude:

All of your picks are fine (same goes for you having West at number three though) until you get to Reggie Miller.

First of all, not having D-Wade on your list is an insult to him. Wade is a Top 3 shooting guard. I can defend that easily and he should be ahead of West, A.I. and *cough* Miller on your list.

However, the only person I dislike seeing on your list is Miller. Why? I don't think he's Top 5. Top 10? Sure. But not Top 5. He was one of the greatest shooters of all time for sure, but shooting guards? You need to do more than shoot to be a great shooting guard.

He never won an NBA title. That is a huge reason of way he is not Top 5.
Well lets not forget that without Bosh and James, Dwyane Wade only wins 1 title as well. West is one of the players from the far past that I watched and, even considering the difference in athletic talent, thought that he would still destroy the competition today. Unbelievably offensively skilled, Nash-like with the ball, and competed on defence. Wade is between 4-7, it all depends how his career finishes.

Just look at this playoff series:

6-GAME PLAYOFF SERIES
278 - Jerry West, LAL vs BAL
Game 1 - 49 at LAL 3 Apr 65
Game 2 - 52 at LAL 5 Apr 65
Game 3 - 44 at BAL 7 Ap r65
Game 4 - 48 at BAL 9 Apr 65
Game 5 - 43 at LAL 11 Apr 65
Game 6 - 42 at BAL 13 Apr 65

knickstape2107

Registered Member
Reggie Miller never won a title, but I don't think rings should matter when ranking players, because rings are a team thing, not individual. I think Wade will likely finish his career in the top 3. Maybe past Kobe, IF(and that is a big if) his knees stay healthy.

Joshua Howe

Yes, I understand that Wade has Bosh and LBJ but West had even MORE HOFs on his teams than Wade has had.

And yes, I understand that series. West was fantastic; only player to take home Finals MVP without winning. That will never happen again because it just doesn't work that way anymore.

However, it is hard to compare Wade to him since his career isn't quite over. Yet, Wade plays just as well as West in every aspect of the game except shooting three pointers. Why is this impressive? Because in no way is Wade a PG. Nor does he (especially since the Big 3) have the ball constantly in his hands. Also, you cannot write off his rings because of Bosh and LBJ; we all know that the Heat needed big games from Wade such as Game 4 in last season's Finals.

Wade has a more impressive resumé as well. Here's just a few interesting things and let's remember, he's not done:

-Only player other than LBJ and MJ to have a triple-double in an All-Star Game
-1st player in NBA history to achieve 2000 points, 500 assists, 100 steals and 100 blocks in a single season (Side Note here; Wade is also arguably the best SG ever at blocking shots, look at the next stat)
-1st player under the height of 6'5" to record 100 blocks in a season
-2nd player to record 15 or more assists after scoring at least 50 points since Wilt in 1968
-Had a game where he finished with 48 points on 71.4% shooting, 12 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 steals and 3 blocks in 50 minutes; he joined Wilt as the only other player in NBA history to score that many points and have that many assists in a game, while having that sky high FG percentage
-9 time All-Star
-2 time NBA All 1st Team
-3 time NBA All 2nd Team
-2009 scoring champ
-3 time NBA champion
-Finals MVP in 2006
-Most free throws made in a game, ever (21)
-3rd Highest scoring average for a player in his first NBA Finals
-2nd most steals in an NBA Finals series (16)
-2 time medal winner at the Olympics (Gold and Bronze)
-Averaged 30.2ppg, 7.5apg, 5.0rpg, 2.2spg, 1.3bpg on 49.1% shooting from the field to completely carry his mediocre team in 2008-09

Also, I'd argue Wade's 2006 Finals performance to better than when West went haywire with scoring if only because Wade actually won his Finals and did so in one of the most Jordan-esque performances we've ever seen. Ever. If you need a refresher about how good this guy is (was), go watch highlights.

Oh, and let us never forget the sublime athletic advantage Wade has over West. Wade could score in more ways than shoot. West needed to shoot to score far more often; though he was brilliant at it.

I've got more if you care to defend West against that. Haha.