• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Top 5 Most Versatile Actors & Actresses?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Which actors and actresses do you consider to be the most versatile? To me versatile means somebody who can take on all sorts of roles without any trouble and somebody who isn't generally seen in the exact same roles all the time.

My top 5 for each are:

Actors:
Johnny Depp
Jim Carrey
Dustin Hoffman
Anthony Hopkins
Leonardo DiCaprio

Actresses:
Jodie Foster
Cate Blanchett
Nicole Kidman
Meryl Streep
Reece Witherspoon

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'll only mention actors for now:

Johnny Depp
Leonardo DiCaprio
Gene Hackman
Russell Crowe
Edward Norton

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
Johnny Depp is a huge one that sticks out to me, and actress wise no one sticks out to me.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
Actors
Will Smith
Denzel Washington
Josh Brolin
Johnny Depp
Russell Crowe

Actresses
Gabrielle Union
Jodie Foster
Cate Blanchett
Glenn Close
Jennifer Connelly

padd

Registered Member
Robert Deniro
Al Pacino
Christian Bale
Johnny Depp
Russel Crowe

Drew Barrymore
Jeniffer Aniston
Angelina Jolie
Julia Dreyfus
Sharon Stone

BigBob

Registered Member
Actors
Will Smith
Denzel Washington
Josh Brolin
Johnny Depp
Russell Crowe
I like yours a lot but I'll change just that one and put in Jackie Chan or Jim Carrey.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Robert Deniro
Al Pacino
I would probably put both of them on the list of least versatile actors (who are popular). All they ever play is cops and tough guys.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
I would probably put both of them on the list of least versatile actors (who are popular). All they ever play is cops and tough guys.
I love both Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro but the last couple of movies both of them have done have been disappointing. RIGHTEOUS KILL was jaw-droppingly bad but it was nice to see them on the screen together for a substantial amount of time. But HEAT is by far the better movie. And Pacino's 88 MINUTES is really awful.
------
I like yours a lot but I'll change just that one and put in Jackie Chan or Jim Carrey.
Really? Much as I like Jackie Chan I'd hardly call him versatile. He doesn't really act but instead he's created this film persona that he plays in just about every movie.

Jim Carrey's been trying for that Academy Award for years now, hasn't he? But he needs to make more movies like THE TRUMAN SHOW and THE MAJESTIC instead of THE NUMBER 23 and YES MAN (A movie I fell asleep on maybe 30 minutes in)

Last edited:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Actors
Anthony Hopkins
Edward Norton
Christian Bale
Ewan McGregor
Will Smith

Actresses
Kate Beckinsale