• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Top 5 Moments in MLB History?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
The beauty of baseball is the history it carries. If you had to pick the top 5 greatest moments, what would it be? Try to leave out personal bias

willge87

Registered Member
[5] Shot Heard Round the World

[4] Reggie Jackson 3 HR game in 1977 World Series

[3] Red Sox break the curse! I hate the team now, but felt happy for the fans in 2004.

[2] Dodgers finally win it in 1955!

[1] Touch 'em all Joe!

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
5. Nolan Ryan's 7 no hitters

4b.Joe DiMaggio 56 game hit streak
4a. Ted Williams hits .406

3. Pete Rose hit 4,190

2. Hank Aaron 715th home run

1. Red Sox 2004 ALCS win over the Yankees and World Series win over Cardinals

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
1. Ruth's called World Series shot. Real or not an instant legend born.
2. Aaron's 715 Home Run
3. Fisk waving the Home Run fair in the greatest World Series ever '76.
4. Willie Mays' catch(might be considered overrated nowadays, but amazing when it happened)
5. Ted Williams going 6-8 in a double header on the last day of the season to finish at .406 Average. When he could have sat the day off and finished with a guaranteed .400 (started the day at .3996).

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
The StroShow said:
1. Ruth's called World Series shot. Real or not an instant legend born.
2. Aaron's 715 Home Run
3. Fisk waving the Home Run fair in the greatest World Series ever '76.
4. Willie Mays' catch(might be considered overrated nowadays, but amazing when it happened)
5. Ted Williams going 6-8 in a double header on the last day of the season to finish at .406 Average. When he could have sat the day off and finished with a guaranteed .400 (started the day at .3996).
I can't recall which network but one of them just mentioned it was the anniversary the other day of Willie's catch in the '54 World Series. A lot of players make the over the head Mays style catches now but the difference between all those and the Mays catch is two fold.

1. It was done in a World Series with runners on and saved a run.
2. He was playing very shallow in the Polo Grounds and ran well over 100 feet* nearly all the way to wall. Then without looking turned and threw a strike to second base to hold a runner.

* - they estimate the ball was hit in the 450 foot range and Mays was playing Wertz somewhere around 300-330 feet away.

willge87

Registered Member
The Devon White catch in the 1992 World Series was with two men on (Deion Sanders & Terry Pendleton) and saved both runs, which ended up being vital as the Blue Jays won that game 3-2. Of course, White would not have had to run as far to get to that ball than Mays would have.