Top 3 hitters and pitchers

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Who do you think will be the top 3 hitter and pitchers during the 2007 MLB season? I'll put mine after I see a few thoughts. I might have a few surprise for you guys.

2. blenderboy55

blenderboy55 Guest

You always wait for us lol.

3. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Lol , He's the man though so he can do whatever he wants and it'll be fine by me:p

Anyway my top three pitchers include:
    -Halladay
    -Santana
    -Garland

Top three hitters:
    -Pujols
    -Ortiz
    -Howard

4. Babe_Ruth

Here's my list:

Pitchers:

Halladay
    Santana
    Chien Ming Wang

Hitters:

Pujols
    Ichiro
    Alex Rodriguez

5. blenderboy55

blenderboy55 Guest

I wouldn't include Garland or Howard.

I wouldn't include Wang (until those K's get up) or Ichiro.

MY LIST:

Santana
    Halladay
    ?

Ortiz
    A-rod
    Pujols

6. Babe_Ruth

Why wouldn't you include Ichiro? He's arguably the best hitter in the league, he'll give you at least 200 hits, get you at least 30 steals, he'll give you around 10 home runs and 65 rbi's which is decent, and he won't strike out more then 70 times in a season which is a great stat.

7. blenderboy55

blenderboy55 Guest

:shrug:

I just love the long ball, that's all.

8. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

OVER-RATED! I hate the long ball, it's taken all of the skill play out of the game. Fast skilled players such as Ichiro are ignored. Who cares if a guy can lay down a bunt for a hit (which is argueably more difficult than going yak). Maybe I phrased that wrong...the long ball takes skill, but it's a limited skill masked with brute force. (A good swing is a good swing though.) I guess I don't hate the long ball either, just hate how it's so glorified. What about the triple? No one recognizes the player with the most triples, he sucks if he doesn't have 30+ home runs.

Mine; no one's going to agree with me but oh well.

Pitchers:
    Santana
    Joe Nathan
    Matsuzaka

Hitters:
    Ichiro
    Pujols/ Guerrero (Can't decide)
    Mauer

9. Babe_Ruth

Your right Sui I don't agree with your list. How can you put an unproven pitcher like Dice K on your list and not put a Roy Halladay who's always a Cy Young Candidate. And if your going to put a closer in your pitchers list then it should be BJ Ryan and not Joe Nathan. Some people will look at this and say your only being bias because your a Blue Jays fan. Well just compare stats and you'll see I know what I'm talking about. As for your hitters if you can't decide between Pujols and Guerrero just take off Mauer and put them both on your list.

10. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

1) You said who is going to be the best in 2007. You did not put who has the track record. I can put an "un-proven" player if I want. How in the world is Matsuzaka unproven anyway? He hasn't play in the MLB but he blew out the WBC and DOMINATED in Japan. I say he's going to do the same here. I don't see that far of a stretch.

2) As far as BJ Ryan vs Nathan is concerned. I think Ryan is a good choice, but they are so close it goes either way. And I favor Nathan.

Nathan: 37 saves, 7 wins 0 losses, 1.58 ERA, 95 SO, 16 BB, 38H, 12 RA, 67.1 IP, 64 GP
    Ryan: 38 Saves, 2 wins 2 losses, 1.37 ERA, 86 SO, 20 BB, 42 H, 12 RA (11 ER), 72.1, 65 GP

3) Why replace Mauer? He had the top batting average in 2006, He was 5th in OBP, and he had a respectable .507 Slug%. He was also 15th in OPS with .936. Just because he doesn't smack as many homeruns (only 14 last year) doesn't mean he isn't a great batter.