• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Top 20 Favorite Games

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Here's a list of my top 20 favorite games, in order (or reverse order for more suspense). Hopefully I didn't forget anything. It was pretty hard to rank some of them, and there were some games I really liked but had to leave out. Feel free to add your own lists. It doesn't necessarily have to be top 20.

Edit: I'm an idiot and forgot to put in Perfect Dark, and I don't want to take anything out, so this will be a top 21.

Another Edit: I'm retarded and miscounted and now there's 22 games.

22. Gran Turismo 2 (Playstation) - GT2 was the reason I bought a Playstation. I was really into cars then, and this game had tons of them and was by far the most realistic racing game of its time.

21. The Sims (PC) - Easily one of the most addictive games I've ever played. It was a lot of fun working your way up in your career, starting a family, saving up a ton of money for a cool house, or just playing around trying to kill your sims and stuff.

20. Diddy Kong Racing (Nintendo 64) - The multiplayer wasn't as good as Mario Kart 64's, but the singleplayer Adventure mode was a lot more challenging and fun.

19. Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64) - Pretty much the opposite of DKR. The singleplayer got boring pretty quickly (time trialing is probably more fun than racing against the cheating A.I.) but if you had friends to race against this game was a blast. I was a little disappointed with the Battle Mode though.

18. Sim City 2000 (PC) - I've always been interested in designing and building stuff (I wanted to be an architect) so building and controlling my own city was awesome. I've been wanting to get Sim City 4 for a while, but never had a PC that would be able to run it until recently. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime.

17. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - I bought this game used after I played Ocarina of Time, which really got me into the Zelda series. I'm sure if I had played it when it first came out it would be higher on my list.

16. Civilization III (PC) - I had never heard of this game until I got it for my birthday a few years ago. I played it for like eight hours straight one night, and only stopped because I realized it was 5 o'clock in the morning. It felt like I had only played for an hour or two. I love all the strategy involved in it.

15. Grand Theft Auto III (Xbox) - Nothing more fun than killing civilians and cops, right? Just kidding. There was just so much to do in this game. Near endless replay value. So many games have tried to copy it, and none of them have been able to match it.

14. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (Xbox) - See above.

13. Super Mario Kart (SNES) - I liked this game a lot more than Mario Kart 64 for some reason. Maybe because it seems like there was more skill involved. The battle mode was so fun. I don't know why they got rid of Koopa in all the newer Mario Kart games.

12. Halo 2 (Xbox) - First game that I played a lot online (I used to play Ghost Recon, but not very much). I loved it until I realized how unbalanced the weapons and maps are, and how much lag there is on Live. Still a great for 2 vs 2 or 4 vs 4 team games.

11. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64) - This game would probably be a little lower if I hadn't started playing it again recently. It's full of fun mini-games and side quests. I think the 3 day time limit and all the mask collecting was a great addition to the series. I just wish there were more dungeons.

10. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Awesome graphics and music for an SNES game. All the levels were unique and creative. Lots of fun looking for all the bonus areas.

9. Perfect Dark (Nintendo 64) - The multiplayer was great. So many options, custom weapon sets, simulants, etc. I was obsessed with raising my rank. Never got it under 9. The cheesy singleplayer keeps it from being better than Goldeneye. I probably wouldn't be at this board if it weren't for PD, since I heard about Gameforum.com over at PDC (Perfect Dark Central).

8. NHLPA '93 (Genesis) - Played this game a lot, either with my dad or against the computer. I was really into hockey back then, and it was awesome having a game with all the real teams and players.

7. NCAA Football 2003 (Xbox) - I'm as big of a college football fan as you'll find, so finally getting a realistic game was a dream come true for me. So much depth in dynasty mode with recruiting and everything. I've probably put more time into this game more than any other.

6. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox) - I didn't get to play the multiplayer very much since I didn't get my friends into it until after Halo 2. H2 really makes me appreciate this game a lot more. It has better maps, better weapons, more balance, and requires a lot more skill.

5. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64) - I'm not much of a Mario fan, but this game really blew me away. Totally changed the way games are played. Hopefully Nintendo can match it with Revolution.

4. Goldeneye 007 (Nintendo 64) - I played Goldeneye almost every day for about a year, either with my friends or by myself. I spent so much time trying to beat it on every difficulty and get all the cheats. Or even just playing around with all the different cheats. I think I got every cheat but two.

3. Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES) - This was the first Zelda game I ever played, which is probably why I love it so much. I got it for my birthday when I was in second or third grade, and it was so hard I could barely even make it to the second level. One of my friends was an expert at the game and showed me all the tricks, but I didn't beat it until a good seven or eight years after that (Ocarina of Time motivated me to finally beat it).

2. Metroid Prime (Gamecube) - Very hard choice here. I could easily put this game #1. I was never really into Metroid, but I asked for Prime for Christmas the year it came out since it got such great reviews and everyone was talking about it. Took me a while to get into it. I hated all the backtracking at first and didn't play it for almost a year, but then I tried it out again and got hooked. Everything about it is awesome; the graphics, the music, the bosses, gameplay, etc. I really think it's a perfect game.

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64) - I have to put this #1 since it's my favorite game of my favorite series. The level design and the creativity of some of the puzzles is amazing. Excellent story, fun mini-games, great graphics. This is what a Zelda game should be like.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow, top 20 games.

Let's see. This is a quick list I made just now. I tend to rank newer games higher than older games, since I've played them more recently, but for the most part this is a fair ranking of my top 20 favorite games, in reverse order as well (1 being favorite).

My top 20 favorite games:

20. Baulder's Gate 2: Dark Alliance (PS2) - Great RPG with a huge environment. Takes forever to beat. There's a loophole in the coding though that takes a lot away from the the challenging aspect of the game when you find it. Kind of like the more cash code for Sim City.

19. Super Mario Brothers (NES) - It's hard to be a gamer and not be a fan of this game. It needs no introduction, and to be honest, shouldn't require an exlanation. The game was just flat out innovative and is one of the most memorable games of all time.

18. Battlefield 2 (PC) - A very addictive and realistic war shooter by EA. It's very similar to other shooters, and doesn't really bring a lot of new ideas to the table, but the seamless combination of shooting and driving/flying/etc really works well for the game.

17. Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis) - A tetris like game, but multiplayer, and very addictive. Especially if you play with people who are really good.

16. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
- My favorite Sonic game. Multiplayer was an awesome introduction to the series, and the levels were great. The music was also the best out of any Sonic game.

15. Dungeon Siege (PC)
- This was a great RPG by Microsoft Game Studios. It was huge, and took absolutely forever to get everything.

14. The Legend of Zelda (NES)
- The original NES game. I never actually finished it, but had almost everything done when magically my game erased entirely. I haven't liked cartridges since, but also haven't had any trouble with newer catridge based consoles. NES was bad with this though.

13. Halo: Combat Evolved (XBOX & PC) - I was a big fan of the XBOX version, but as soon as I bought the PC version, there was no going back. The multiplayer was 100x better than anything even in Halo 2. I'd also rank the XBOX version here as well though, but don't want to count it as two games. As for Halo 2, I hated it.

12. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (XBOX) - This game had the very best multiplayer of any game I've ever played. I didn't get into the single player much, but the multiplayer made the game well worth the money. Spy vs. Merc was extremely challenging, and when pitted against people who were really good playing as either, matches lasted for hours at a time. Winning was that much better when you know that you just spent an hour on a match.

11. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) - Platform game meets infinite items to unlock and seemingly never ending gameplay. This game took forever to beat. To be honest, I've never completed it. A good game is one that is so good that it keeps you hooked for months, yet you never quite get everything. I still have reasons to go back and play again, and there's still new stuff to do. Had decent music. I actually own the soundtrack for this one.

10. Star Fox 64 (N64) - Had alternate ways to go about beating it, and each path was filled with tough levels. The back story was interesting, and the levels were challenging. Earning the medals on every single level is what I liked the most about it. It was nice once I finished though. The game had a very epic feel to it, especially the final battle with the Star Wolf gang.

9. Mario Kart 64 (N64) - It looked kiddy at first, but then after playing it, I found out that it was DEFINITELY kiddy.. however, it was extremely addictive, and flat out fun any day of the week. Unlocking everything made the replay value very high, and overall the game is one I will continue to play in the future.

8. Perfect Dark (N64) - This game took everything about GoldenEye 007 and dropped it in the year 2023. High tech gadgets and weapons ran amock. Aliens were a little cheesy, but for the most part the game was great. Multiplayer was more fun than GE's, but only because of the addition of bots. The levels and guns were better in GE, however. I own the 2 disc sound track for PD as well.

7. Half-Life 2 (PC) - Equally as fun as the original, but not quite as original (obviously) feeling. I probably play this game more than the original, but you really have to play the original to appreciate HL2 as much as it deserves.

6. Half-Life (PC) - Overall the best PC SHOOTER of all time. It won game of the year, and has influenced PC shooters since. It was an incredible gaming experience from the get-go, and really caught me by suprise.

5. Rainbow Six 3 (XBOX) - By far the best XBOX LIVE shooter I've ever played. This game introduced me to XBOX LIVE, and also took up a lot of my time when it first game out. It's my favorite tactical shooter on a console.

4. Counter-Strike: Source (PC) - I picked source because technically I never played the original. I can play this game for hours at a time, and never lose steam, or accuracy. It's the best multiplayer FPS on the PC by far.

3. GoldenEye 007 (N64) - This game got me started on First Person Shooters. It had everything a shooter should have: Long lasting entertainment on multiple levels. No pun intended. Single player was great. Going for cheats was better. Multiplayer was great. Unlocking levels, modes, and characters made it better. The music is some of the best I've heard in any videogame.

2. Super Mario 64 (N64) - This game changed the way platform games were done. It set several standards for 3d environments that are still evident in many titles today. It's the best Mario game by far, and has huge replay value. It also has a very catchy and appropriate soundtrack.

1. NiGHTS: Into Dreams (Saturn) - This game is one of the most challenging and annoying games I have ever played. Annoying in the sense that it's so hard at times to complete different areas that when you finally do, you get a warm fuzzy feeling for about a week. :) It's hailed as the Sonic Team's finest achievement, and to be honest, there's nothing about it that I would change. I would eventually like to see the same game released with updated graphics, and as more of a Mario 64 style flying instead of the limited feel this game has. It's my favorite game ever and has also been my avatar for several years now in some form.

yooperchick

Registered Member
I don't have 20, but here are my top 12 picks. Once I get my collection larger, I am sure there will be more to come:

12. Combat (Atari 2600) - This atari classic was so simple, but so cool to play. Youd had so many options and I loved to play the bouncing shot ones with tanks, or play the flying games.

11. Pinbot (NES) - I liked this game. I was a pinball friek and could spend hours in arcades playing. With this game, I could sit at home and not spend money.

10. Super Mario 1 (NES) - I can't help but have some love for the first NES game I've played. I still enjoy playing it.

9. Bust a Move? (Arcade game) - I think this was the name of the game. You would shoot bubbles (?) up to the top and get like colored ones together to get rid of them. I know there have been video games out there, but I liked playing this game in the arcade at college.

8. Crash Bandicoot I (Playstation) - One of the first games I played on Playstation. I remember sitting there for hours trying to get farther on this game. I did eventually beat it, but it was challenging enough to keep me occupied for hours. I enjoyed the look of Crash, and the boulders going after you were really fun and heart pounding levels.

7. Spyro I (Playstation) - I thought it was so much fun charge into sheep. Although the gameplay was relatively easy, it was a fun game to play and it was visually appealing. I thought the graphics were really good in it (for the time).

6. Tetris (NES) - This game is just a classic. No matter what I do, I can sit for hours and play this game. It will probably be around forever.

5. Super Mario 3 (NES) - Although I find this the hardest of the NES Mario Series games, I enjoyed the fact that now Mario could fly.

4. Super Mario 2 (NES) - This game was awesome the way you could choose your player. Although I usually ended up playing one character, I had the option of playing any of them.

3. Ninja Gaiden (NES) - Not only was it cool to go back and forth between the walls, I loved the fact that this game had a story to it.

2. Legend of Zelda (NES) - This game just has so much replay value, and I could play it over and over again. I liked the adventure aspect of the game and finding hidden things.

1. Burnout Takedown (PS2) - Everything about this game is awesome. You actually feel like you are going 140mph for a change in a game. I've played racing games before, but never really gotten into them until this game.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Um, I haven't once said I prefer Perfect Dark of Goldeneye. We have a PD vs GE topic somewhere at this board. You can look for my post in there if you want.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Just make your list. I'm curious to see it. It's better to make a list and forget a game than to not make one at all. And you can always go back and revise it, which is how I ended up with 22 games.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I'll make one later. But I'm going to have to go with just the games that I've played, and I know that won't be very interesting given that there's a good amount that I haven't played, such as the N64 Zelda series games (but then again, A Link to the Past was so good that it could stand for the entire series). Generally, I won't be repeating any games from the same series anyways (in other words, one Megaman game, one Mario game, one Double Dragon game, etc.); I think that's the only fair way to do it.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't played any Zelda games on the N64 either, which is why I didn't include them. How else would you rank your top 20 favorite games WITHOUT only ranking games you've played personally. I don't think anybody expects you to go play every game ever made just to make an all time best 20 games list. :)