Top 10 annoying phrases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngelsPeak, Jul 9, 2010.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

According to Reader's Digest, it's these...

...which actually surprises me since not one of those annoy me.

Top Ten Annoying Phrases - Entertainment News Story - WDIV Detroit

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

The only one I can say kind of annoys me would be 24/7...it's just a little over used but it's not that annoying.

3. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

I was gonna say "Fair Enough"...because when used correctly there is no phrase more condescending on the planet.

4. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Just like you, I fail to see why any of those phrases are said to be annoying. There are so many other phrases that are really annoying....how did they miss those? What kind of lazy*** survey did they conduct? If any......

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Really? You think so? I've used it here when I think someone has made a good point. I don't mean it in a condescending way at all and I hope no one has taken it that way.

6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I can see where they are coming from with 'shouldn't of', 'I personally' and 'fairly unique'... but they don't annoy me, despite the 'flaws' in those phrases. None of the other annoy me either in the slightest. I really don't get why some of those are up there. What's wrong with absolutely :O I like that word.

"literally" (when used incorrectly) and "no offence, but..." would have made my list.

7. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

here's another one - "for your information"

nd I didn't mean by you, CTO, its a friend of mine who just needs to expand her conversational vernacular a bit :D

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Shouldn't of doesn't annoy you, Denise, seriously? because it annoys the crap out of me. As does "same difference" and "sooner than later". Also "many a times"

9. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Not so much.:) ( I know that one annoys a few people)

The only one up there that really gives me pause is "at this moment in time" and only because I've always looked at it like this, before you finish saying the phrase, that moment of time has passed and your point has lost some of its validity.

10. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

"Been there, done that."
    "Whatever works."
    "Enlighten me."
    "Should'a would'a could'a" <--- only acceptable in Farscape episodes.
    "Truth be told."
    "Really." <--- note period.

Well, truth be told none of these really annoy me, but they are out there with the rest. Living in phrase land. Haunting our every sentence.

Rebeccaaa likes this.