• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Tony Dungy

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/nfl-holding- ... -20140720/

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ said former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy, now an analyst for NBC. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.’’
It's so football coach-y it's comical. God forbid (literally in this case, considering Dungy's biblical stance on gay marriage) having an openly-gay player would present "a distraction," which is apparently the worst thing in all of the sports world.

smh122

Registered Member
He's a SB winning coach. I'm sure he knows what would be distractions on his team and what wouldn't..Even Antonio Pierce came out and said it would cause a distraction if he played for the Giants during his tenure there.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Coach Dungy is full of shit. He wouldn't draft him because he disapproves with his lifestyle. He can say whatever he wants too but I do not believe him for a second.

Michael Sam is a Ram and it hasn't been a distraction at all yet. I don't think it will be whether he makes the team or not.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
smh122 said:
He's a SB winning coach. I'm sure he knows what would be distractions on his team and what wouldn't..Even Antonio Pierce came out and said it would cause a distraction if he played for the Giants during his tenure there.
Imagine how many Super Bowls Dungy would've not won with the best quarterback of the last 20 years if he HAD been distracted by questions about untalented gays.

smh122

Registered Member
Bizzy said:
smh122 said:
Imagine how many Super Bowls Dungy would've not won with the best quarterback of the last 20 years if he HAD been distracted by questions about untalented gays.
Lets not act like he wasn't one of the best coaches in the league during his tampa/indy tenure. So if Dungy felt his team's could do without Sam then that's him. Not everybody's vision on how to win is the same.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
smh122 said:
Bizzy said:
smh122 said:
Lets not act like he wasn't one of the best coaches in the league during his tampa/indy tenure.
Tony Dungy managed to carve out a nice career with a defense someone else invented, and an amazing quarterback he did not develop.

Lombardi used to tell his team that if he ever heard a slur from anyone regarding race, religion or ethnicity, he would cut them right away. That is called eliminating distractions.

In 1969, Lombardi’s Redskins included a running back named Ray McDonald, who in 1968 had been arrested for having sex with another man in public. In the Lombardi biography When Pride Still Mattered, author David Maraniss writes that Lombardi told his assistants he wanted them to work with McDonald to help him make the team, “And if I hear one of you people make reference to his manhood, you’ll be out of here before your ass hits the ground.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -his-team/

smh122

Registered Member
Bizzy said:
Tony Dungy managed to carve out a nice career with a defense someone else invented, and an amazing quarterback he did not develop.
So then every coach in the NFL sucks because they didnt invent a scheme or develop a QB?

knickstape2107

Registered Member
I don't really care that Sam is gay, but I still don't agree that he was drafted and Jackson Jeffcoat went undrafted. So, in a way, I agree w/ Dungy, but not for the same reason. I think there were better options than Sam and the Rams took him for some publicity. Anyway, Dungy's also right about the distraction part. It is a distraction because it has so much media coverage. Just look at all the Michael Sam talk on ESPN. They talked about him, a seventh round pick, more than Stephon Tuitt, a second round pick. They talked about Sam more than Khalil Mack, who went in the top 5!! And as for questioning Dungy's career accomplishments, it's already hard to win a Super Bowl, but even harder to win with a quarterback that struggles in the playoffs.

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
this Michael sam situation si getting out of hand. Whether he didnt draft him due to his sexuality is his choice. The fact that good players were left out of the draft and sam was drafted, is a bit weird to me. knickstape2107 is right, this "gay" stuff is going so viral, he can do nothing all year and get a lot of credit because he's "gay". There are more important things in the nfl than sam.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
This following quote says it all and it should end all debates because his opinion is the one that matters the most:

Michael Sam responds to Tony Dungy comments: 'Thank God he wasn't the St. Louis Rams coach.”

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Baseball 8
Millz Baseball 3
willge87 Baseball 8
K NFL 50
Babe_Ruth NFL 7