Tons of Unrelated Bills Slipped into Stimulus

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like how Obama said while campaigning that he would let the public see any bill for at least 5 days before he signed it.

Yet, with the recent "recovery package" elected officials didn't even have a chance to read it all.

Tons of completely unrelated things were slipped in.

For example, take this trojan horse for example (which luckily was removed before it was signed).

Under Cover of a "Stimulus" Bill, Congress Seeks to Overturn the Second Amendment
By Ken Anderson
Feb 12, 2009 - 10:41:20 AM

In a Bill introduced on the first day of the present session of Congress, with no coverage from the mainstream media, H.R. 45 (Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009) targets gun owners in the United States. While everyone's attention was on the bogus "stimulus" plan to print and spend trillions of tax dollars, this legislation is worming its way through the House and Senate.

This Bill will strip us of the rights granted by the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution. It requires the registration of all new guns during the first two years after enactment. After two years, the new law goes retroactive, mandating that all firearms in a citizen's possession be registered, not just those purchased after the enactment of the law. This apparently applies to antique firearms as well.

Under the provisions of the Bill, gun owners will be required to go through a complete renewal process every five years, any failure to comply carrying stiff penalties which would include the confiscation of the firearms and jail time, with penalties as high as ten years in some cases. The Bill also authorizes government searches without a warrant, creating a new federal bureaucracy to monitor the possession of firearms by citizens of the United States.

Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 was introduced on January 6, 2009, amending the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from owning a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act, or by a state system certified under the Act. It also prescribes the application, issuance, and renewal requirements.

The new law will also prohibit the transfer of a firearm unless the recipient possesses a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer (or private citizen) records a tracking authorization number.

Under the new law, the following would be a crime:

The transfer of a firearm to any person other than a licensee unless that transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions;
Licensed manufacturers or dealers failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act;
Failing to report the loss or theft of a firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; and
Keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm with ammunition, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child should use the firearm and cause death or serious bodily injury;
The law prescribes criminal penalties for violations of the firearms provisions covered by this Act, directing the Attorney General to:

Establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse;
Conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and
Collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer, authorizing the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.
We should also keep in mind that, as with any other law; once enacted, the restrictions can be expected to be made more rigid at every pretense. Whenever anyone in the nation is harmed by a firearm, we can anticipate that additional restrictions will be placed into the law.

While our legislators generally spend their time representing someone other than their constituents, this might be a good time to contact them.
Under Cover of a "Stimulus" Bill, Congress Seeks to Overturn the Second Amendment

:mad:

Luckily this was pulled from the final bill.

Nice sneak attack Mr. Holt. Very classy and upright.

I truly wonder how many BS bills were slipped into this "stimulus" package. This might be the single most crap filled piece of legislation to ever be signed into US law.

What other completely unrelated bills do you know about that were slipped in?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I think that there were tons of ridiculous things slipped into the stimulus bill, I did a bit of research and came up with this.

$2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
$650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.
$88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaking ship.
$448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.
$248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.
$600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.
$400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD’s.
$1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.
$125 million for the Washington sewer system.
$150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.
$1 billion for the 2010 Census, which already has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.
$75 million for “smoking cessation activities.”
$200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.
$75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.
$25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.
$500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.
$10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.
$6 billion to turn federal buildings into “green” buildings.
$500 million for state and local fire stations.
$650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.
$1.2 billion for “youth activities,” including youth summer job programs.
$88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.
$412 million for CDC buildings and property.
$500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.
$160 million for “paid volunteers” at the Corporation for National and Community Service.
$5.5 million for “energy efficiency initiatives” at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.
$850 million for Amtrak.
$100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.
$75 million to construct a “security training” facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.
$110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.
$200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.
Stimulus Earmarks

Excuse me but I have to quote this one especially.

$246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
I'm really not sure what's going through their minds when they think of this stuff, but it's ridiculous, I can see why it took this long for it to pass, it's ridiculous.

Luckily many of these were removed from the stimulus package, as it should be. But still...

Last edited:

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
Frankly, dDave, I can see a quite a few things you quoted as ridiculous as being helpful. Buying hybrid cars? Auto industry took a huge hit, I think updating the federal government's fleet could help with that. Perhaps put some factory workers who have been laid off back to work, no? However, a lot of that shit is plainly the democrats in congress pushing their agenda. Smoking cessation? STD prevention? That shit should have been saved for its own bill.

Interesting bit about that firearms legislation though, after two years it would have become retroactive? What ever happened to no ex post facto laws? Or does the waiting period make it okay?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
dDave, all of your ridiculous things are valid stimulus. How on earth do you create and retain jobs without building infrastructure or providing salary to municipal workers? GM wants to shed 47,000 jobs and yet buying cost-cutting hybrid cars from them is somehow not good?

I doubt whether or not you have a clear idea of what a stimulus bill is and what the economics of it are. If you think building power plants isn't stimulus, by relation you must believe harvesting tomatoes is not agriculture.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think maybe the biggest joke in that list is this one:

A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
Stimulus or not, was there a lack of movies that I was unaware of? I mean, I haven't been to the theaters for a bit now but I am pretty sure they are still getting new movies in weekly.

And even if they weren't, a government bill to keep the cost of movies down? Out of every possible use for this money, somebody felt it was worthwhile to "bail out" an industry that wasn't hurting at all?

I really wonder if the fancy Hollywood dinners Obama attended had anything to do with that line being added to the bill. It's laughable really.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Its a stimullus pack, what do you expect! The purpose is to stimulate the economy.

The Motion picture industry is big business and employs a lot of people. It is also a successful business. Inject money into it and you are sure to see the rewards. It also relies heavily on sponsorship, half the battle when producing anything is raising the revenue, as companies fail left right and centre soon there will be no sponsers left. Personaly I would say that this is one of the more sensible parts of the stimulus. The US needs to produce something, motion pictures are big revenue, it employs hundreds of thousands and even more when you consider the extended industry. It is also one of the US's better exports. Its most often produced by Americans and then shipped across the world.

also. a $246 million tax break is peanuts all things considered.

High School Musical 3, cost $13.3mil, it has so far grossed $246mil. It is not even a year old, plus by the time you add secondary merchandise you are looking at half a billion of which most will go back to the United States.

If you give these people tax breaks now they can produce more, spend more and export more. When taxes are reimplemented there will be a nice big healthy juicy industry and econmomy to tax.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The first reply to this thread was actually fairly off topic.

This thread is about ridiculous BILLS being slipped into the stimulus. Not necessarily ridiculous things the stimulus money is being spent on.

Anybody care to tell me how banning people from keeping loaded guns in their own homes is helping the economy?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Oh ya, the Democrats are sneaky. They knew that a lot of this stuff wouldn't pass on its own, so they slipped it in this which they knew would pass...

Politics is dirty man...

Bananas

Endangered Species
Hybrix; said:
Anybody care to tell me how banning people from keeping loaded guns in their own homes is helping the economy?
Hybrix; said:
I truly wonder how many BS bills were slipped into this "stimulus" package. This might be the single most crap filled piece of legislation to ever be signed into US law.

What other completely unrelated bills do you know about that were slipped in?
Correct me if Im wrong but from what I read of the article you have posted, it was not slipped into the stimulus but was a completly different bill and is completly irrelevant to helping the economy but is aimed at targetting the black market by regulating, legislating and licencing firearms.

Just because peoples attentions are focused on the stiumulus does not make it a part of the stimulus.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's true, the bill in the article I quoted was NOT in there at the time the stimulus was signed. However, it was most definitely slipped in there. It was in there up until a day or so before the bill was signed.

I'm sure there were plenty of other completely unrelated "favor bills" that were slipped in that nobody has noticed yet (or cared to bring attention to).