Tons of Unrelated Bills Slipped into Stimulus

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I like how Obama said while campaigning that he would let the public see any bill for at least 5 days before he signed it.

Yet, with the recent "recovery package" elected officials didn't even have a chance to read it all.

Tons of completely unrelated things were slipped in.

For example, take this trojan horse for example (which luckily was removed before it was signed).

Under Cover of a "Stimulus" Bill, Congress Seeks to Overturn the Second Amendment

:mad:

Luckily this was pulled from the final bill.

Nice sneak attack Mr. Holt. Very classy and upright.

I truly wonder how many BS bills were slipped into this "stimulus" package. This might be the single most crap filled piece of legislation to ever be signed into US law.

What other completely unrelated bills do you know about that were slipped in?

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I think that there were tons of ridiculous things slipped into the stimulus bill, I did a bit of research and came up with this.

Stimulus Earmarks

Excuse me but I have to quote this one especially.

I'm really not sure what's going through their minds when they think of this stuff, but it's ridiculous, I can see why it took this long for it to pass, it's ridiculous.

Luckily many of these were removed from the stimulus package, as it should be. But still...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  3. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Frankly, dDave, I can see a quite a few things you quoted as ridiculous as being helpful. Buying hybrid cars? Auto industry took a huge hit, I think updating the federal government's fleet could help with that. Perhaps put some factory workers who have been laid off back to work, no? However, a lot of that shit is plainly the democrats in congress pushing their agenda. Smoking cessation? STD prevention? That shit should have been saved for its own bill.

Interesting bit about that firearms legislation though, after two years it would have become retroactive? What ever happened to no ex post facto laws? Or does the waiting period make it okay?

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

dDave, all of your ridiculous things are valid stimulus. How on earth do you create and retain jobs without building infrastructure or providing salary to municipal workers? GM wants to shed 47,000 jobs and yet buying cost-cutting hybrid cars from them is somehow not good?

I doubt whether or not you have a clear idea of what a stimulus bill is and what the economics of it are. If you think building power plants isn't stimulus, by relation you must believe harvesting tomatoes is not agriculture.

5. Mirage

I think maybe the biggest joke in that list is this one:

Stimulus or not, was there a lack of movies that I was unaware of? I mean, I haven't been to the theaters for a bit now but I am pretty sure they are still getting new movies in weekly.

And even if they weren't, a government bill to keep the cost of movies down? Out of every possible use for this money, somebody felt it was worthwhile to "bail out" an industry that wasn't hurting at all?

I really wonder if the fancy Hollywood dinners Obama attended had anything to do with that line being added to the bill. It's laughable really.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Its a stimullus pack, what do you expect! The purpose is to stimulate the economy.

The Motion picture industry is big business and employs a lot of people. It is also a successful business. Inject money into it and you are sure to see the rewards. It also relies heavily on sponsorship, half the battle when producing anything is raising the revenue, as companies fail left right and centre soon there will be no sponsers left. Personaly I would say that this is one of the more sensible parts of the stimulus. The US needs to produce something, motion pictures are big revenue, it employs hundreds of thousands and even more when you consider the extended industry. It is also one of the US's better exports. Its most often produced by Americans and then shipped across the world.

also. a $246 million tax break is peanuts all things considered.

High School Musical 3, cost $13.3mil, it has so far grossed $246mil. It is not even a year old, plus by the time you add secondary merchandise you are looking at half a billion of which most will go back to the United States.

If you give these people tax breaks now they can produce more, spend more and export more. When taxes are reimplemented there will be a nice big healthy juicy industry and econmomy to tax.

7. Mirage

The first reply to this thread was actually fairly off topic.

This thread is about ridiculous BILLS being slipped into the stimulus. Not necessarily ridiculous things the stimulus money is being spent on.

Anybody care to tell me how banning people from keeping loaded guns in their own homes is helping the economy?

8. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Oh ya, the Democrats are sneaky. They knew that a lot of this stuff wouldn't pass on its own, so they slipped it in this which they knew would pass...

Politics is dirty man...

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Correct me if Im wrong but from what I read of the article you have posted, it was not slipped into the stimulus but was a completly different bill and is completly irrelevant to helping the economy but is aimed at targetting the black market by regulating, legislating and licencing firearms.

Just because peoples attentions are focused on the stiumulus does not make it a part of the stimulus.

10. Mirage

It's true, the bill in the article I quoted was NOT in there at the time the stimulus was signed. However, it was most definitely slipped in there. It was in there up until a day or so before the bill was signed.

I'm sure there were plenty of other completely unrelated "favor bills" that were slipped in that nobody has noticed yet (or cared to bring attention to).