• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Tom Cruise & John Travolta might remake Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tom Cruise is looking to team up with John Travolta to remake the classic 1960’s western Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Tom would play the part of Sundance, originally Robert Redford’s part, and John Travolta would take up Paul Newman’s role as Butch. The movie has been one of Tom’s favorites since he was a little boy and this would be a “labor of love” for him.

The surrogate father of Scientology plans to produce the remake through his United Artists Studio and is currently in talks with scriptwriters, a new report claims.

A source tells The Daily Mirror: “Butch and Sundance is a labor of love for Tom. He was eight years old when he saw the original and it made an impression that has stayed with him all his life. He can’t wait to get to work.”

Tom hopes to revive the role of Sundance–played by Robert Redford in the original film–while 55-year-old John is expected to play Cassidy.

The 46-year-old star even got the blessing of Paul Newman - who originally played the role of Cassidy in the film about a pair of lovable bank robbers–before he died of lung cancer last September, tattles tell the tab.

“It has been a pet project of his that has been on the back-burner for years. But now he’s ready to go, and will most likely happily eschew the enormous salary that he normally commands.”
Cele|bitchy Blog Archive Tom Cruise & John Travolta might remake Butch Cassidy

Usually I dont mind remakes, and I am a fan of both of these actors, but they cannot remake this classic, it wouldn't be right. Even if Tom had the blissing from Newman.

Thoughts?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate and love when movies are re-made. On one hand its fun to see a classic movie with all the technology we have right now but on the other hand it kind of takes away from the original...which I dont like.

I'm not sure if this is something I'd go see or not.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I for one am not a big fan of remakes and this particular idea for a remake is just wrong.
As much as I like the work that Cruise and Travolta have done in the past in my opinion nether has the same screen presence as Newman or Redford, there on screen partnership was brilliant and I just dont think that Cruise and Travolta could pull it off.

This Classic film should be left alone.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Worst. Idea. Ever.

Cruise and Travolta, are you kidding me? This is such a bad idea, it is mind boggling, these two would single-handedly tarnish a classic.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally I don't care who they would cast in this movie, I just think it would be wrong to remake this movie. I am surprised that Newman gave the blessing to remake this classic, you'd think he'd refuse. I am also wondering what Robert Redford thinks about this.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Personally I don't care who they would cast in this movie, I just think it would be wrong to remake this movie. I am surprised that Newman gave the blessing to remake this classic, you'd think he'd refuse. I am also wondering what Robert Redford thinks about this.
They probably got his permission while he was on his death bed. You can never trust those damn Scientology freaks, they're shifty.

Last edited: