Todays wrestlers vs Past wrestlers?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think the wrestlers of the 80's and early 90's are better wrestlers then the ones we have today?

Also by wrestlers I mean overall, not just wrestling abilities, I also mean to speak on the microphone, to cut a promo.

Thoughts?

2. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Technically i think they're as good as they ever were now, and definitely cover a lot more wrestling/fighting styles than they ever did before.

On the mic, i don't think they'll ever be as good as the late 90's. But that isn't completely the wrestlers fault, it's mainly the writers etc. Some wrestlers just can't be exciting on the mic with the crap material/gimmicks they have to work with...

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

80's and early 90's compared today? NO! Stone Cold, The Rock, Edge, Kurt Angle are all the new school best wrestlers of today compared to... ugh... whoever wrestled back in the 80's and early 90's. Err... Where does The Undertaker fall?

Arg... Yes, I consider todays wrestler much, MUCH more improved in every aspect. They cut WAY better promos (either due to writing, their acting ability or whatever else), their wrestling ability and ability as a whole.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally believe the wrestling was better in the late 80s and early 90's. Just take a few examples here, Bret Hart, Mr Perfect, Owen Hart and so many more. Dont get me wrong there was a lot of bad wrestlers, especially Ultimate Warrior.

Also when it gets to cutting promos I think the old wrestlers did the best, there was a lot more promos back then, then there is today. Some of them were just spectacular as well.

5. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

as for technical ability there's two ways you can look at it. In terms of technical wrestling ability, the wrestlers of old, like you mentioned, were a lot better. But there's the other side of 'in-ring ability' where wrestlers pull off spectacular moves and have unique exciting styles which is definately more common today than late 80's/early 90's. So if you look at it that way you get a different answer. It's a tough one.

6. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

The entertainment aspect of the industry is much better now days for sure. Promos, commercialization, advertising etc etc are advanced. I think that there are some good technical wrestlers now days though and there were some back in the day as well. I dont see a huge difference there.

7. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

I think there are good and poor wrestlers in every generation. Though it seems like the best in my lifetime were those who made it to the WWF, WCW or ECW during the span of the Monday Night Wars.